86 z28 tpi 8 cyl 305

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Default 86 z28 tpi 8 cyl 305

Hey everyone!

Here's my question: did I get screwed on what I had to pay, for the work done on my car? (ya know, me being a girl and all)

My '86 Camaro starter was bad so I took it to a mechanic, (who was referred by my cousin), to be replaced. I knew my car was way overdue for a tune up so I ok'd work for that and an oil change. Here's the run down on the charges:

Total charge for labor: $529.95

--two diagnose checks (one for hard start and check codes in ecu memory, and the other one to check engine light problem) I told them
my check engine light had come on a couple of times within the last 3 weeks $120.00

--replace starter motor $142.50

--replace spark plugs, cap and rotor, fuel filter, air filters, and set the timing $237.50
--change the engine oil and filter $ 29.95

------------------
Total charge for parts: $182.49

And nothing was done about the check engine light

So what do you think? Is $739.61 reasonable or did I get screwed?

thanks!

Old 09-24-2014, 02:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard. Another member will need to comment on the labor rates but at first blush, it does not seem out of line to me. But, I do it myself.

I can tell you this, when you go to a shop, they must first diagnose the problem, verify the part(s) needed because you don't want them tossing parts at it and charging you, then they must obtain the parts, install them, and verify functionality. You're paying for experience, expertise, convenience and a warranty.

I have $thousands of tools and equipment in my personal garage and can't even hold a candle to the gear that a shop has.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Labor rates vary depending on the area you are in. Some places you can get a decent mechanic for $60 an hour other places are more like $125.00.

A good shop will charge Chilton or Mitchell times for standard work like a tune up or starter replacement. For the mechanic the more work you do on the same car the better. Each job assume you have to get the car in your bay.

Just the other day I got a quote for front brake pads, rotor, and wheel bearings. In this quote they wanted 5.5 hours of labor and I was told it was Chilton times. Yes if I bought the car in 3 separate times to have each part fixed it may have taken 5 hours but I did the whole job in my driveway on jack stands in 2 hours. It would have been 1.5 hours if I had my lift cleared off. Thanks to rockauto $1400 quote cost me $450 plus 2 hours of work.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 AM
4th Gear Member

The 'check ECU codes' and 'check engine light' are the same.
Any emission related item will set the CEL (Check Engine Light).
Both are the same function/feat.
At least you have a year warranty on parts and labor.