2,965 original miles, one owner 1984 Z28 H.O. Price??

Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Default 2,965 original miles, one owner 1984 Z28 H.O. Price??

Looking to sell my 1984 Z28 H.O. Camaro. I inherited the car from my grandmother who bought it for her 60th birthday (yea, she was cooler than your grandma) she drove it for those 2,965 miles, parked it in the garage and has been in a garage ever since. Comes out at least once a summer for a bath and a short trip around the block.*

Some info on condition of car.

MINT (I know this word is used a lot, but this car is truly showroom quality).
Brown metallic exterior (factory original)
Lear Sieglar interior (still smells like new).
Car has never seen rain (only water to hit it has come out of a garden hose).
I have the original window sticker.
I have the original sales brochure.*
Car is 100% original other than motor oil (Mobile1 synthetic put in it as soon as she brought it home)
Automatic transmission*
305 H.O.
A/C
Power windows, locks, seats, hatch.

I'm not real sure on price yet... I'm thinking the car is worth at least in the mid 20s... It's very rare to see a Third Gen in this condition with this low of miles. In fact I haven't seen one at all.
The brown didn't seem to be really popular either but that what makes it even more on of a kind. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! Like I said I don't really know what it's worth, I'm not a die hard third gen guy, but I'm not an idiot either.*

I can't do attachment yet on here, and I'm not sure if I can post pictures or how to... I have a bunch if*anyone is interested.

Thank you.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For kicks, I looked on ebay. There's a one owner 1984 Z28 with 12k original miles, in "resale red". Buy it now is $11,900 and it isn't bought yet. "In the mid 20's" is the sentiment talking, not what the market will bring.....unless you can find someone who just loves brown. No offense, but between the two, I'd go with the red one. The extra 9k miles wouldn't phase me. Not to mention, the more a car just sits, the more likely it will develop leaks in the engine, transmission, and differential seals.
By the way, washing a car with a garden hose is like having it sit out in the rain. Water will run down into crevasses and cavities just the same. I don't hose my Camaro, it gets a sponge bath.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:39 AM

There isn't any sentimental value in the car for me. When talking about the price I am solely considering the originality, condition, and rarity of the Camaro. Anyone who knows anything about car value knows that 100% original, unmolested is worth way more than modified.

The common red, hideous pin striped, drum brake painted, 84 Z28 on ebay with the ugly interior may be fine for someone who doesn't understand originality. That car would be fine to pick up groceries at Walmart on his way home to the trailer park but that's not the kind of person that can see the potential investment I have.

Maybe I am thinking the car is worth more than it really is at this point In time but it's one of a kind, you will not find another one out there in this condition. And for the garden hose water hitting the car... yes it did get down into door jams. Then 10 min later it was dried off. You give yours a 'sponge bath'? I was unaware vehicle couldn't handle water falling on them.... The fact that my Camaro has never seen rain water in 30 years was simply a statement of how well it has been taken care of, never even sitting outside for a single night.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZukiGuy13
There isn't any sentimental value in the car for me. When talking about the price I am solely considering the originality, condition, and rarity of the Camaro. Anyone who knows anything about car value knows that 100% original, unmolested is worth way more than modified.

The common red, hideous pin striped, drum brake painted, 84 Z28 on ebay with the ugly interior may be fine for someone who doesn't understand originality. That car would be fine to pick up groceries at Walmart on his way home to the trailer park but that's not the kind of person that can see the potential investment I have.

Maybe I am thinking the car is worth more than it really is at this point In time but it's one of a kind, you will not find another one out there in this condition. And for the garden hose water hitting the car... yes it did get down into door jams. Then 10 min later it was dried off. You give yours a 'sponge bath'? I was unaware vehicle couldn't handle water falling on them.... The fact that my Camaro has never seen rain water in 30 years was simply a statement of how well it has been taken care of, never even sitting outside for a single night.

You may be absolutely correct, that car might be one of a kind with respect to the combination of the color, miles, etc etc.

But, that might not matter.

I put granite, marble and travertine in my present house. I could do that because I live in a waterfront community and buyers expect high end finishes in these homes and pay for it. I would never have put any of that in some of my prior homes because it was worthless to the demographic who were buying those homes. I would have been wasting my money.

What does that mean? You need to find out what buyers think your car is worth. If you want top dollar, I would not suggest forums such as here. I would not suggest craigslist

Maybe there is someone out there who lost his/her virginity in the bucket seat of a brown 84 Camaro and just has to have yours. But, that is a very specific buyer and how much can you afford to spend to market the car to try and get top dollar?

If you live in a high income area then you may have better luck. If you live in an avg or below avg income area then you'll need to invest in advertising.

If you toss it onto autotrader,ebay or craigslist and get a few people looking at it and offering high singles or 11 or 12, then the market where you are is telling you the value

You do not set the price, the buyer does. You can argue that point but guess what, if nobody buys it, then your "asking price" is a moot point because it never sold.

You are correct that the supply of low-mileage, 3rd gens is very low. But, the question is does it matter? Does anyone want it? That is where you need to spend some $ and market the car.

In marketing we have a saying

"will the dogs eat the dog food?"

you will find out soon enough if you list it at $20k and your phone doesn't ring.

If you then reduce to $15k and get a few calls then you're reaching the top level in pricing but negotiations would occur

If you then go to $13k and your phone rings off the hook................guess what, you now have a sellers market at that price point and let a bidding war ensue

but, it's all speculation and there is only one way to find out the true worth of the car

list it for sale and when a ready/willing/able buyer makes you an offer, you'll know the TRUE market value

there is no room for emotion in sales