Need Opinions (Please Read!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Need Opinions (Please Read!)

I'm going to start doing some machine work on an Idea I thought up for my Camaro. Im sure some of you know about the Crossfire TBI system? Well Im stepping that one up with a dual 2inch 2bbl TBI system and I wanted to see what you think of that idea.

I'll upload some blueprints of the idea when I get it done, but basicly think of a dual carb intake with a TBI to 4bbl Carb adapter on both sides and a new wire set up and fuel lines.

Over kill? lol

OH! And If I get it working Right I'll be willing to build them for you guys if you want!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:56 AM
BackseatBob
Default RE: Need Opinions (Please Read!)

So, in other words, a dual quad intake manifold but with two TBIs instead? Hey, it the throttle bodies are big enough, then why not? It's different, and if it works well then it's not only different but a good idea. Go for it, it'll be fun (though probably kind of frustrating at some point), and I'd love to know how it turns out!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am not clear on what you will have in the end. You are taking a crossfire intake and converting it to carbs? I have seen several people try to make the cross fire system useful, They have not had good results. I can't say I have ever hear of converting it to carbs. It will a challange to get the tune and idle right.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

No not carbs Gorn, I use a Dual carb intake, But use TBI Units instead of carbs.

And If I do this right it SHOULD be a simple bolt on [8D]

Old 12-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I follow what you're saying. I think you threw us off when you mentioned the "crossfire". Basically like throwing on TBI units in place of my carbs. The manifold will let the engine breathe better than your restrictive heads will allow though. And what are you going to do for controlling richness output of the injectors? Maybe disconnecting one injector pod in each TBI would work? Otherwise, will the existing system compensate for it? By comparison, a carb flows gas into the intake based on the engines needs (vacuum draw).

Old 12-25-2008, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

If the ECU is running right It should compensate a little and I'll also mods the Fuel Pressure Regulator to be adjustable to help with that. But ya you basically have the idea. In my head it seems pretty simple and more then likely I'll get some vortec heads or something to help with the flow a little and a set of headers.

And I said crossfire as it made me think of my idea but I guess that was the wrong wording

All Im waiting for is my Paycheck to kick things off lol

Old 12-26-2008, 12:10 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think you idea will work but I think you would need the tunability of either a 97 PCM with HPtune or a Mega Squirt system. Your fuel pressure regulator will only allow forone setting. Your going to need adjustment across they whole RPM range at all temps. I have helped map a few cars with athe Mega Squirt system recently. Ihave seen how much adjustment is neededjust changing a intake can cause.Most computer system have a very small band width for adjustment. You pretty much have to be 90-95% with your fuel mapping and the O2 sensor will give you fine adjustment in real time.Camaro 69 touch on a issue. The current draw of four injectorswould most likley burn out a quad drive in a ECM that was designed to run only 2 injectors. Going to one larger injector in each TB would be easier. If you build your own Mega Squirt system you could make it so it was set up for a 4 injector system.
Good Luck

Old 12-26-2008, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

wow, that will be interesting, why not make a dual quad multiport set up? (edel. 4bbl throttle bodys) but yeah im interested to see how it turns out for sure! good luck and keep us up to date for shiz...lol

Old 12-26-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm... You both actually have a good point but I dont want to get into a $1000 intake system if I can help it, For now a simple test system will work and I'll grab a new ECU from the junkyard for the test

Hmm I dont see why it wouldnt beable to power two sets as it doesnt take much power to work an injector

Old 12-26-2008, 10:32 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I agree it does not take much to power an injector but I will also say GM did not spend the money to make a circuit twice the sizes it needs to be. It might work for a few hours but it very well could fry this first time you crank it. If it does work you will be putting twice the fuel into the motor then the computer is expecting, yes you can crank the regulator back and you might get the thing to idle. I say might because if you have to back pressure off more then a few pounds your injectors will no longer atomize the fuel. You will just get raw gas dripping into your intake. A TBI is designed to atomize fuel (the nice sprypattern)at 12-15PSI any less then that and the injector will not work as designed.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions (Please Read!)