1988 Camaro radiator switch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Default 1988 Camaro radiator switch question

My Mom owns a 1988 Camaro 305 and water is backing up into the over flow then back to the radiator. She is on a fixed income and we were told its the radiator fan switch. Does anyone have knowledge about this issue and does that sound right? I see the AC Delco part for this is about 30.00 but I am wondering about the labor and if this sounds like its the problem.

Thank you very much for any advise on this issue.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Do you have more information? The overflow is there to capture coolant and return it to the radiator. That is a normal function, especially in warm weather with the A/C on, or idling for a period of time. Do you have evidence that the engine is overheating (over 240F)? Or loosing coolant outside the system?

Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Thanks for your quick response according to my step Father he told me the car is over heating up to 240 but its swapping water/coolant back and forth between the over flow and the radiator and you are right this is a normal function. No its not really that warm of weather where this should happen. As far as loosing coolant I dont believe it is. He also stated it has two fans? I used to own a few camaros myself but its been a while I dont remember two fans. Its hard because hes telling me this over the phone and I am not there in person. I have a 95 Vette now my dream car that is in the shop at the moment getting the radiator replaced... I have a great honest mechanic in my area by wow expensive. I would hate to buy this part for them even though it is only $30 to find out its not the radiator fan switch at all. Finding a good mechanic in there area is another issue. There mechanic moved away. He said a guy at a auto parts store told him this is what it was. I want to believe it but still not convinced.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Jackie O; 08-15-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added more information
Old 08-15-2014, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear member

The fan (or fans, you can visually see if there are more than one) is programmed to come on at 230F. The gauge is probably not more accurate than 10 degrees at best. I would not be too concerned unless 1) the gauge does exceed 250F, or 2) you experience coolant loss. I would check the coolant to make sure it is a proper mix or water and "coolant/antifreeze" and not just water. Also, replace the radiator cap if you see cracks in the neoprene (black rubber) gasket. It's supposed to take a certain amount of pressure before it overflows into the reservoir. If in doubt, replace the cap (non-vented)

Old 08-15-2014, 03:39 PM
4th Gear Member

turn on the Ac and the fans should come on. If not, then that needs to be diagnosed. If they do, and it still overheats, then there is another problem

is the air deflector on the bottom still there?

Old 08-15-2014, 03:54 PM

Ok. So I just got off the phone with my step father. The thermostat was replaced two months ago. The radiator cap looks good. What he said was its pulling all the coolant out of the over flow tank and he has to keep refilling it. Also he stated the 2nd fan behind the first one is not turning the first fan in front is. It's reaching 260 degrees so yes its definitely over heating. Yes the air deflector is still there. Thanks again for your response.

Last edited by Jackie O; 08-15-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: adding more information
Old 08-15-2014, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear member

The cooling fans are controlled by separate sources. The Main fan is controlled by the ECM, mostly as a result of the temperature readings from the engine temperature sensor. The Auxiliary fan is controlled by another sensor/switch on the engine that is fixed at 230F or 238F (depending on whom you ask). That is why one runs, but not necessarily both. Both are also controlled by a pressure switch on the a/c system that turns on the fans if the pressure in the a/c system gets too high. I suspect the auxiliary fan sensor/switch is the one you were told about that needs replacement (?). For what it's worth, I don't think these cars have both fans installed unless they were originally ordered with a/c; the point being that if you aren't running the a/c, you shouldn't even need the auxiliary fan..

Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 AM
4th Gear Member

the coolant is going somewhere

that needs to be diagnosed

Old 08-17-2014, 12:43 AM
Default Thank you all for your responses.

My step father is making me crazy. My Mom used to race cars but lately she has not been doing so well so I cant ask her either. He did replace the radiator cap it was worn. He took the car out today and said that after a 1/2 hour it started to get hot. Dont know what is hot to him cant seem to get a straight answer. I love him to pieces but sometimes...I will be visiting next Saturday God willing and look for myself. He said today that he saw the car dripping underneath while he had it out. I asked is it coolant? He doesnt know. He got home and put something underneath the car and said nothing dripped or he did not have the pan in the right place. He has a beautiful 1969 camaro and I understand they are much easier to work on I could do work myself on my 1967. I have owned 5 camaros myself 67,82,86,88 and 92 and I loved them all and I learned a lot from them as well. I have a 95 Vette now honestly always wanted a Vette but loved my camaros too. Now he thinks its the hose. Again thank you all for your help but when I cant get a straight answer its making me crazy and how can I help them. When I get there I am going to check for myself and see what the heck is going on and I will use all your expertise in the process of elimination. Thank all of you again for the information.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Default Still Over heating 1988 5.0 water pump replaced

Okay the saga continues. I am at a loss here. My step Father after the water pump was replaced took out the car and all was good until he saw it over heating AGAIN. This is sooooooooo frustrating. He just parked the car and put his hands up in the air. My Mom decided to take the car out again today why? I dunno she just misses driving. Within about a 1/2 hour the temperature was red lining. She said she saw steam coming from the passenger side when it over heated. No steam inside the vehicle so I believe the heater core is fine. They had a guy put in the water pump and fan switch to my understanding and he was supposed to come by last Monday no call no show no excuse. I know the water pump is correct for her year did lots of research and confirmed it was the right water pump I actually ordered it for them. My step father did not buy the vented radiator cap like what was suggested. They had the lower hose replaced as well under the water pump. My step father told me a few people told him it was a cracked block without looking at the vehicle. I told him well I think there wrong, they told me the same thing with my Vette and they were wrong mine was the radiator. To add to this when checking the oil its does not have a mile shake look to it either.

As for the fan switch to my understanding the fan switch was replaced and the car ran cool for a few weeks after the water pump and fan switch were replaced. Is there more than one fan switch? Could this be a fuse? Air dam is in tact.

Does anyone know of a good honest mechanic in the South Bay area of California to be exact Lomita/Torrance?

When I did look under the hood a few weeks back I saw this small amount of coolant to the left of the water pump in a small little crevis if you are facing the car but that could just be where it landed. Thanks in advance for your replies.

My Moms air conditioning unit does not work if I turn it on even with it not working will the fan still come on?

Last edited by Jackie O; 10-22-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: corrected information

Quick Reply: 1988 Camaro radiator switch question