New engine running bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Default New engine running bad

Ok where to start so I have a new engine built 350 has a thumper cam roller rockers 1.52 gear drive edelbrock 1405 carb everything is new but carb has new hei super coil ect so I've had it tuned in ran great for the first 200 miles give or take 50 break in oil changed twice will change again at 400 miles so ran great until one morning I decided to get on it when I say get on it it has 411 gears with spool so rpms probably 6 grand tops if that wasn't looking but ever since I did that the car runs like its on 7 cylinders I checked the plugs and everyone are black not wet but dry back soot so I took the carb off and cleaned I think everything out did find some crap in the float bowls like grime little chunks of crap that was probably in tank changed fuel filter .. still runs like **** checked for vac leak around carb didn't find any. When I was driving home the day it happens on the road it seamed to run good at 60 it was at idel it just didn't want to run if i close the choke off not completely the rpms go up but it still doesn't run like its on all cylinders I'm baffled oh I will say this the day before brakes started to go out I would have to pump them to get pressure but I've driven 200 miles with brakes that were fine before .. any suggestions please

Old 06-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Put your ear to the exhaust, and see if the engine sounds erratic, like an intermittent flutter. A possible bent push rod comes to mind, considering this happened right after winding the rpm's up. When you cleaned the carb, did you take it all apart? I would first rebuild the carb, you could have crud inside and this symptom could be a coincidence, not related to valves.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:31 PM

I've gotten on it before I'm not sure if one bent push rod would couse all the plugs to go black

Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 PM

I'm going to buy a new carb and see what that does I have heard of holes burnt into the manifold that could cause a vacum leak

Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like a carb issue, and I'd guess the short LSA and long duration that most Thumpr cams have isn't helping the sooted up plugs. I love those cams, and they perform well, but they do contribute to a rich idle mixture, just by the nature of their grind.
I have a Thumpr in my 454 BBC, and I have a lot of issues with fouled plugs if I spend too much time idling, or starting/stopping it. I need to run it out on the highway occasionally to clean up the plugs, or I end up replacing them.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Kenhcook2007
I've gotten on it before I'm not sure if one bent push rod would couse all the plugs to go black
I glazed over the all the spark plugs have black soot part. No, that wouldn't be from a bent push rod, you're running rich.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:39 AM

Is that going to cause the car to run like its on 7 cylinders I've driven the car probably 6 times and put aprox 2-300 miles on it so far and now all of a sudden runs like crap I can't help but think that when my brakes lost pressure the day before has something to do with it

Old 06-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Tech Droid

Not sure what you mean by brakes lost pressure, but if the power brake booster or its connections are leaking vacuum, it could cause the engine to run poorly. However, this would cause a lean condition, rather than the rich condition that the plugs are indicating.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It is possible that the two are related, but might also just be a coincidence that you have two separate issues that happened close to the same time.
A vacuum leak on a power brake system would result in a very hard pedal, and poor stopping condition. As mentioned, it will also lean out your engine. I'd start by checking the vacuum line and fittings to the brake booster, and changing out the spark plugs to get a fresh set in. Then you'll be OK, or at least able to diagnose further what else might be wrong.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:17 PM

I changed the plugs still same I'm going to buy a new carb today edelbrock 1806 thunder 650cfm series electric choke see what this does then everything is new I'm hoping it's the old carb

Quick Reply: New engine running bad