How do I determine engine mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Question How do I determine engine mileage?

Hey guys, I just purchased a 1980 Z28 from an auction dealership. Not much info on the car when purchased, (which I normally don't do but I had to have it), other than the fact that the guy who owned it prior to me used it on the race tracks. The wires on the gauges are disconnected, so I've no way to determine mileage. Plus, the engine is an extended cam 350 that's been highly-modified for racing. What I can tell you about the ride:

- 350 w/ Edelbrock heads and rocker arms
- Holley carb
- Slap shift 4-manual
- One rocker arm was broken and replaced with a stock arm
- Replaced a melted performance plug wire for a stock
- Plate missing on the underside, tranny exposed (this is my priority fix at the moment!)
- No A/C, heater, lower dash, glove comp, radio. The previous owner really just used it for racing!
- Idle was adjusted for a cleaner idle (still rough because of the cam), but it still needs a little gas on warm-up (is this normal?)

The previous owner knew what he was doing when it came to racing, but I intend on using this as a weekend/show car and not a racing toy.

My question: What can I do to determine either mileage and/or overall condition of the engine? I want to make this ride clean, but I don't want to dump major cash into the restoration until I can say for sure that the engine is reliable. I know I'm novice to this, so go easy on me! Thanks for the support!

P.S. I can provide under-the-hood photos for convenience if you guys would like...

Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 PM

You can do a compression test on the motor to see what condition it is in......no way to tell mileage.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Actually, if your going to restore it, as long as the body,frame and interior is good you wouldn't put a whole lot into it. Even if you had to rebuild the engine it wouldn't be that much. the older carbuerated 350's are much cheaper on parts and to rebuild. As long as it runs good, run it. a basic rering, rod and main rebuild kit would be under $300.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

A compression test as stated will tell much but of course it won't show a main bearing or something like that getting ready to let go.
No way to tell the mileage,likely there is very little original left of the engine anyway,race car engines get rebuilt often as they don't live very long.
As for the cold idle,we'd need to know what carb is on it and whether or not it even has a choke,not likely it even has a choke,many racers with Holley Double pumpers or that style of carb the most common type for racing mill off the choke horn completely for better air flow.
You don't need a choke in a race car since it will not be run cold and most of those big carbs start right up with a pump or two,besides big race cams don't idle well anyway.
Not sure what you mean by tranny exposed or plate missing,is this a manual or auto trans?
You say slap shift 4 manual,what exactly do you mean,maunally shifted auto or is this a stick shift with a clutch and something like a v-gate shifter?
The only thing that makes sense here to me is maybe the flywheel cover is off?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys! I really appreciate the help and will definitely check out that compression test (can any local garage provide this?).

You say slap shift 4 manual,what exactly do you mean,maunally shifted auto or is this a stick shift with a clutch and something like a v-gate shifter?
It's a manual with a really, REALLY short shift ratio. And yes, I found out that it's the flywheel cover (my buddy has been calling it the bell housing cover) that's missing. Is this a universal replacement, or do I need the exact dimensions, shape, etc. to replace it?