Rear Vibration at speeds less than 10mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:50 AM
Default Rear Vibration at speeds less than 10mph

Good morning avid camaro lovers...

I have a problem going on... Im restoring a 79 Z28 car was sitting for about 10 years... It runs/Drives but i'm noticing while turn the wheel at less than 10mph there's a lot of vibration in the rear of the car. Any idea? Probably going to replace shocks today, and i noticed the sway bar link is broken. Sway bar link couldn't be that issue could it?

thanks

Old 07-17-2016, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'm going to presume you have a limited slip, also referred to as posi rearend. If you're not sure, jack both wheels off the ground, and with trans in neutral, give one wheel a spin. If the other wheel turns in the same direction, you have posi. If so, then what you have going on is the old oil has gummed up the clutches, and they are sticking too much in the turns. I've had this happen more than once in my old Vettes. Change the oil in the rearend, Lucas is a good brand, do not use synthetic. Also make sure to use the limited slip additive. Then, take the car to an open parking lot and do a lot of slow speed circles and figure 8's to work the new oil into the clutches. Your clutch chatter should eventually clear up. Now if you don't have a posi rear, then it could be bad u-joints chattering.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I'm going to presume you have a limited slip, also referred to as posi rearend. If you're not sure, jack both wheels off the ground, and with trans in neutral, give one wheel a spin. If the other wheel turns in the same direction, you have posi. If so, then what you have going on is the old oil has gummed up the clutches, and they are sticking too much in the turns. I've had this happen more than once in my old Vettes. Change the oil in the rearend, Lucas is a good brand, do not use synthetic. Also make sure to use the limited slip additive. Then, take the car to an open parking lot and do a lot of slow speed circles and figure 8's to work the new oil into the clutches. Your clutch chatter should eventually clear up. Now if you don't have a posi rear, then it could be bad u-joints chattering.
I did change out the fluid yesterday, and I put some additive in today and drove it around. The vibration feels much better, and still some noise but it needs to get worked in. The noise could be the flopping sway bar too.