70 camaro frame

Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Cool 70 camaro frame

hey ok to start this is goin to sound completely crazy but my neighbor has cancer again & they dont think he'll make the year & for some reason he wants to take a ride in it but i have a 70 camaro the rear subframe is all but gone & the right front on the front sub frame is ate up sat in the dirt but here is the completly crazy part ok i have a 54 bel-air frame hang in there alright i measured & atleast the rear part of the frame actually seems to be the same width & i know i can just bolt up my camaro rear end & leaf springs to the frame so would be same suspension then i know i would have do some figuring on th efront to get the camaro suspension on it but the spring bucket would be the really hard part since its just a square tube frame basicly might be able to us epart of the bel air suspension since it does have coil springs on it might be able to use the bucket part but in the end would still be camaro suspension i know i need to check the rearend height may jack it up lower would be fine but its 7.in longer wheelbase but have to change front anyway bu tif u have any info on what i need to check look for or anything or if u absolutely know it wont work or crazy amount of work i just want to make it drive-able to take him for a ride & i cant afford to go get new rails & a plus the bel air frame has alot of mounting spots but like i said if u have any info can give me would love it thank u very much thanx

Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 PM

OK Bry. Here is my opinion on your situation. Now if the frame will fit into the back portion of the 70 I would take and mount the rear suspension and dif into it and mount it under the car. Now for your front suspension I would use the BA front suspension and figure out a way to mount your fenders and front end the the front of the BA frame.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by 79maromike
OK Bry. Here is my opinion on your situation. Now if the frame will fit into the back portion of the 70 I would take and mount the rear suspension and dif into it and mount it under the car. Now for your front suspension I would use the BA front suspension and figure out a way to mount your fenders and front end the the front of the BA frame.
hey thank you very much for the info but i got a 76 grand prix frame other than makin it 110in wheel base it fits & the front suspension will bolt up from the camaro if i need it & i'll probally just leave the rear suspension for now its got the factory 4link i might have to put lighter springs to ride better but will work for now & thank u very much

Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd find somebody with an early 2nd gen Camaro and tell them what's up. I bet you could go to a local car show and find someone who'd take him for a ride, and not screw up your car with some old Chevy suspension.
A '54 is pretty antiquated drivetrain, and even if you got it under the Camaro it would sit way too high, and drive like a tank. Those old Belairs all drove like tanks too! How's he gonna enjoy a ride in a 2nd gen that drives like an old Belair?
I wouldn't use that suspension on an old Belair if I owned one, let alone a newer Camaro. I'd swap newer Camaro suspension into the old '54 first!