The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

I have learned something this week. I would MUCH rather be working on the Camaro (or cleaning up after a Great Dane in the yard for that matter) than trying to replace exhaust manifold gaskets on a Ford!! I finally got sick to death of the annoying "tick tick tick" as you drive because ALL F150's have the same problem of exhaust studs rotting right off and/or breaking off at the head. What a PITA!

I did manage to get the Molasses mixture (or Halloween potion as my daughter called it) going this week and I can already tell it's going to take longer with the colder temps. I'll get some before and after pics up when I actually get some results. Not much else got done this week per the above paragraph but if the rain will stop for a few hours I'll be getting the firewall done this week.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hope the molasses works. If it does, I may try it on my recent acquisition. Got an old cooler chest yesterday, and it needs restoration, plus surface rust neutralized:

Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

That looks pretty cool! I can tell that the molasses is working but it's not working as well/quickly as I've seen before. Knew it going into this that it would probably take longer and that's fine. I'm going to give it at least another week before I even look at things and I'll try to get a couple pics up then.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Overdrive Member

Molasses? Did I miss something? I never heard of that as a rust remover.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Youtube it. A molasses mixture isn't caustic or as corrosive as an acid based chemical is. But it works as slow as.....well you get the idea.
You let the part soak in a vat, and it could be for weeks depending on how rusty the part is.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 10-15-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

It's really quite an amazing process if you've got the time to let them soak, and I've got the time. Also, like '69 said, it's not a harsh process like the acid based chemicals are. There are faster processes but I wasn't really feeling the battery charger next to the water container....

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 10-15-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Double double toil and trouble
rusty parts soak and the molasses cauldron bubbles...

It's working good! I could rub the rust off the headlight buckets with my thumb when I checked them today so it's almost time. I'm actually kind of glad that it's cooler out as the smell would be really strong in the garage if it was warmer. It does take a while for the molasses to work but right now i'm not really pressed so time isn't an issue. I'm going to give these parts until Monday and power wash them and post some pics.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2270.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2271.jpg  
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

I've been trying to get some pics up of the rust free parts out of the molasses and have had a years worth of problems all fall into the last two weeks...

Broken pressure washer (kinda needed for the molasses parts)
Broken chainsaw - tried to save some $ this year and get some of my own firewood. Didn't work out the way I intended.
Broken Truck again (yeah, it's a Ford) Had to drill and tap the head for 2 exhaust studs and then the belt tensioner decided to seize and break into pieces on my way home with my buddy's snowblower in the back.
Broken Great Dane - emergency surgery on a bleeding well, you don't wanna know.

Throw in the usual stuff this time of year like trying to de-leaf 2 acres of yard completely surrounded by maples, oaks, birch, elm and ash while having the rain and wind make it even more fun and I just haven't had ANY time to do anything Camaro related. Before all this BS started happening I had just about finished sanding the firewall and almost have it ready for paint. Anyway, I will get some pics up ASAP as the parts all look awesome that I soaked in the solution! Pressure washer is next on this list. I tell ya what, stuff like this sure makes me realize how truly enjoyable it is to work on the Camaro!

Apologies for the rant.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Overdrive Member

Sandy sure did send a cold blast at us huh? I froze my grapes off trick or treating with my boys. I kept waiting for the "daddy I'm cold." Then boom were goin home guys. I didn't want to cut their night short so I waited for them to tell me but that was still longer than I wanted to freeze.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

Agreed, I'm really not ready for the cold this year. Just making it harder on myself by dreading winter, living where I live. My kids did the same thing trick or treating, usually they're done with time to spare. Not this year, my daughter almost fell asleep standing up at the last house "but I'm not cold Daddy!" Wasn't the way I wanted to warm up but carrying her back helped a bit. Now it's time to go spend more money on a garage heater. I will not be waiting half a day this year for the woodburner to warm it up..... got things to do!

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build