The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Looking great Tim! I just made the trip downstate and picked mine up and brought it back. Now I get to organize the garage so that I can get back on it. I still have furniture and appliances to get out of there and one more trip for the last of my tools and parts. It feels good to have her here! If you're ever headed down through Elk a Rapids, give me a shout.

I agree with Val, your daughter did a very nice job on the video!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, we had fun driving it for a few minutes. Wish she wouldn't have stopped the video when she did, missed the downshift and tire noise. That scared her a little bit anyway lol! It did however, prompt a bunch of drunken neighbors from down the street that I've never met to pay us a visit. No fenders or nose piece on the car just yet so they were apparently arguing over whether or not it was some kind of "special" car that we were driving, and they just had to find out.

I should've already had the front end installed but alas, it's not. Rain has kept me from sanding the fenders a little bit so I can at least paint he back sides of them before I install them. I've decided not to do too much to the fenders at this point like I was originally contemplating. After getting the Camaro out into the daylight, I was quickly reminded of the appearance of the rest of the body and well, it just doesn't make much sense to spend extra days cutting, welding, prepping and priming/sealing fenders when the rest of the body is still rough. The plan has been to drive it for the summer and get everything mechanically set, then start the body work. The Z fenders that I got a couple months back are in pretty good shape (and mostly white) so I'm going to just clean them up, sand a little here and there to get the black spray paint off the top half of one of them and get 'em on the car. The weather has cost me almost 3 days now and I'm itchin' to get the front end back on this thing!

Side note - it's been discussed a few times in the past but it only took about 1/10th of a mile to realize the Flowmaster's have got to go. Anyone in the market for a new(er) set of mufflers? Can't do the Trapp's just yet but think I'll get a set of the Spintech's, they sound good/different and I can keep the rest of the exhaust intact for now.

Congrats on getting your Camaro up here Neal! I'm sure it'll be nice to have everything set back up in your garage so you can get back on it. I'll be sure and look you up next time I'm down that way. I'll be in Kalkakistan this weekend for holiday parties. You'll have to let me know if you need any parts for your Camaro that I might have here now!

Old 07-01-2015, 06:04 PM
4th Gear Member

sounds great ,the sound seems low on the video .but sounds crisp ,guys like you that take that amount of time to build such a nice car deserve the 5 stars ,I have got better ,with waiting as I get older ,but I don't know if I got the pationts you got with it ,cool car ,time to take an end of day ride ,an hear the roar,

Old 07-01-2015, 11:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

The Camaro is definitely noisy but on the video the exhaust noise always seems quiet for some reason. I know we talked about this earlier but the exhaust noise is far enough back that it doesn't drone bad on the inside, nor do the fumes creep back inside. It's so much louder in person though. I really appreciate the comments about my Camaro but really I'm minor league compared to most of these other guys in here. I have taken my time on it for sure, several different reasons for that though. I keep telling myself that I'll appreciate everything that much more but at this point I'm ready to get appreciatin'.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Tim, you might look into the Summit brand turbo mufflers as a cheap interim replacement. I had them on my '71 and was extremely happy with the sound level. Not dead quiet, but very mild sound that made it much better inside the car. They used be $20 ea., but probably a bit more today. Still cheaper than anything else that works well.
Just checked, and they're $31. now.
http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...rbo%20mufflers

Old 07-02-2015, 12:41 PM
4th Gear Member

I notice as loud as my single chambers are ,with the windows up I don't feel the noice as much ,but when I pull up in traffick it the sound bounces off everything I love it ,when I had just cat back ,there was to much noice in the car ,now only when i hit it with 2500 stall it screams ,I love it ,an I am sure some places may have to be careful with that ,Harleys get away with it all the time ,reving the engine can get a ticket almost anywhere ,up hear most police are good about it ,right time right place seems key

Old 07-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I have the dreaded Flowmaster 40's on my BBC powered '63 Falcon, and it sounds great at idle, with 2.5" pipes out the rear. But at anything over 2,000 rpm they suddenly open up and the noise level is a huge difference. I'm unsure why they change so dramatically above 2,000 rpm's, or if it's also when the twin 600 carbs open the secondaries?
Whatever it is, I wont have them after this winter. I've had enough of the abusive noise level, and will change to something easier on the ears. If I want loud, I'll open up the caps on my headers.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...89773982990770

Last edited by 1971BB427; 07-03-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'm going off the premise that I won't have trouble with police because of the nature of the car being what it is. That's also the justification I'll use if I should have problems, "loud pipes save lives right?" I don't have a horn installed anymore so what else am I supposed to utilize to notify those darn pedestrians that I'm in the vicinity?! I have cutouts also, but didn't install them, yet. No real need for 'em. I haven't really even gotten my stall to lock up yet (3800) so not sure what noise difference that'll make.

The flowmaster's on my truck do the same thing Vall. It always sounds so funny when I drive and going through gears normally driving and it makes all this noise until it shifts into O/D and drops under 2k. Then it's almost dead quiet. I don't mind the FM's on my truck though, something about the Ford 4.6's that make those mufflers sound so good IMO. Anyway, I'm definitely not basing my decision to lose those mufflers on the Camaro due to noise, but rather sound. I don't mind, and actually expect the exhaust to be loud(er) regardless of what I choose. I just can't stand the sound of them, haven't liked it for a long time now. Aside from the fact that just about everyone runs them, which is enough to make me want something different, I want the sound of my Camaro to be different than the herd. I have Magnaflow on my Cadi, not a real big fan of those either. All the Flowtech's sound way too similar to Flowmaster IMO also, just noise. Thought about just getting a couple of the Borla's but I'm also not a fan of the turbo style mufflers anymore either. I like the sound of the Spintech's. I'm guessing however that it won't be too long and those will be the next herd style muffler as I'm seeing more and more people using those too. This is all just my opinion, which I usually don't like to get into as it tends to lead to arguments. It's all just a preference issue. Most people think I'm goofy for wanting to run Trapp's. Just can't believe (and don't understand why) they're so expensive! Not sure what I'll end up with for the summer, it's just me, in typical fashion getting ahead of myself anyway.

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 07-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Good job on getting the car running and driving man, I have popped in here and there reading about the build. Funny exhaust is such a personal preference, I love the sound of flow masters, I had them on mine with my 350 and it sounded great.

There is no need to waste money on new mufflers until you get all of the needed parts bought. I put mufflers on my 572 when I first got it running thinking I was going to yank them right off and put nice ones on. Now that the cars on the road I dont even want to finish putting carpet in. It was down for so long i just want to drive it.

Again congrats!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:11 AM
2nd Gear member

A well done job friend. It takes hours and hours of work and effort, but when it is ready, you say "it was worth it".

Very very nice.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build