The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a momentary pushbutton switch, two wires, and alligator clips on the ends. Clip one to the battery positive, and one to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. That's it.
Or $11-
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...tch-35448.html

Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

http://vid1298.photobucket.com/album...psc4c6b01e.mp4

Man, I'm getting pretty good at ALMOST getting this Camaro to run.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Overdrive Member

I think your not getting enough fuel now. I agree with Vall. My switch is a momentary from the electrical isle and a couple clips like he said. MUCH easier. I may even install it permanent on the firewall.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

That would almost be a welcome change actually. Not getting enough fuel. I pulled the plugs today to check them and some were completely drenched. I dumped the fuel out of the plug onto a paper shop towel and blew them out with the compressor to dry them. Why they were that wet with gas is beyond me as I had left the plugs out for a few days to dry out while I did the valve lash and waited for the new regulator. Tried to start it again today and at one point it "ran" for about 15 seconds. Foot was to the floor and when I say ran, it chugged like it was completely flooded and the engine never did/could rev higher. Then it stalled again. I thought it would start to clear the fuel out and rev higher but it never did.

I'll pick up a momentary switch sometime next week as I really want to check spark on all 8. Seriously starting to think there might be something wrong with a plug or plug wire. I've pretty much ruled most everything else out. If only my multi meter were acting normal, it's got a mind of it's own these days. If I get into town tomorrow I'll be picking up a new one of those so I can get the wires checked.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Have you tried cranking the engine with the spark plugs out? Your cylinders may be full of fuel, and drying the plugs is futile if you put them back in and the fuel is sitting in there! Once you get a momentary switch made up, you can pull the plugs and put your finger over the hole while cranking. If there's fuel in the cylinder it will squirt out the hole and push your finger off the hole too. Once you get the fuel out of the cylinders, let it dry out for awhile, and then put the dry plugs back in it.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I may even install it permanent on the firewall.
I'd hesitate to leave it permanently, just because it could make the car easier to steal. Imagine a thief only needs to get power to the coil, and he's ready to fire the car up!

Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

Haven't done that Vall, I was afraid that fuel would keep going in if I turned it over with the plugs out. Can I remove all the plugs at the same time to get the fuel out of there or should I do one at a time? I'd rather do all at once and just stack some towels around the holes.

Heading in to grab a new multi meter now. We were on our way already in the truck when the brake pedal decided to get REALLY soft and would slowly go to the floor while stopped. Don't usually drive the truck in the summer but it had just gotten done raining, of course, so I couldn't really tell if there was fluid all over or if it was just water. MC appears to be relatively full still and I didn't see fluid coming out anywhere when my son pushed the pedal while I looked at all 4 wheels/lines. Super, another problem to troubleshoot!! I'm still smiling though, have a good holiday weekend all!

Old 08-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You can pull all the plugs, and just check each cylinder with your finger one at a time. I sometimes even stuff a towel tightly into each plug hole and let compression blow them out as I crank. I can then check the pieces of towel to see if they're wet.
Unless your carb is bad, cranking the engine with the throttle closed should not fill more gas in the cylinders. If it does, then your carb is trash, or you have way too much fuel pressure.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

Good deal, I'll pull all the plugs again tomorrow and get whatever fuel is in there blown out. Since the only multi meter I could find today was a rinky dink piece of junk, I didn't buy it. I actually think I might take the old wires off the 350 that I pulled out of the Camaro and slap those on tomorrow as well. I had forgotten about those. That's really the only thing left that I can think of to try. It's obvious the spark is there, so I'd actually be ecstatic to find a bad wire, or even two so I knew that was what is causing this craziness. Don't like the thought of having to buy another new set of wires, but I'd welcome the realization that I'd actually located the source of the problem! Not sure how much time I'll have to work on it tomorrow but I should have at least some to get out there.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Where does yours say Korea Tim? I was under the Dodge today and snapped this pick waiting for a 16mm. The threads aren't tapped either. This reg was bought two months ago. But it did come as a kit with the pump.
Name:  111_zpse7a0b3a7.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  75.3 KB

Vall, if someone pops the hood and knows what the switch is for I'd be shocked. I am all about anti theft but I doubt my car will ever need it. Kids steal cars here for joy rides. There are toggles on everything in my car anyhow. If they do get it running they deserve a victory lap before I shoot them in the face.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build