My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 AM
2nd Gear member

You could always go even lower to a 4.10:1 and bolt on a gear vendors overdrive for the highways.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
The 4L80 did not come from the factory with 6 speeds, the place I bought mine from is custom making them. For my 4L80 I am using a B&M megashifter that I picked up 14 years ago and it works perfect for the manual valve body. It did take some getting used to when it comes to putting it in reverse and park from drive but its easy for me now. For the 6 speed 4L80 you would need a transmission controller.

As for valve bodies. A TH400 doesn't come with a manual valve body, it comes with an automatic one. I bought my 4L80 with an aftermarket manual shift valve body. Its not bad, but doing it over again i would have liked to have a 4L80E with the full electronics. Having the electronic valve body would make daily driving much more comfortable.

I have a 3.73:1 ford 9" rear end in mine and 315/35R17 tires on the back. Now that i know what kind of torque i have, i easily could have gotten away with a 3.50:1 or similar rear. I do rev pretty high on the highway. My thoughts are the same with the six speed, i would run a 3.50:1 3.42:1 depending on the make of your rear end, becase 6th gear is 0.75 which is the same as 4th gear in a 4L80.

The downfall is the price, the six speeds 4L80 and 6L80 are both close to $7000, where as my 4L80 was closer to $5000.

Thanks for the information. I coped your text on to my tread so I can continue on mine.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Hello, how are you? Back from Russia?
May I ask you please what is the Stall Speed of the Torque Convertor you are using?
Thanks

Old 08-02-2015, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear member

Hello Sudstoy, Do you have any contact email from PATC transmissions please? Thanks

Old 08-02-2015, 03:48 PM
4th Gear Member

not to get off the subject ,but i went to Russia one time ,it was nicer then people think ,mosscow train station was a bit scary ,there was like a million people all around .all going somewhere I took a train to yoskar ola 16 hours ride ,thank god for the AC about 200 mile from Siberia I was in summer was hot it was nice ,then I came home an seen traveling abroad ,no it was fun some said I had a lot of guts to traval there alone ,,the airport had been bombed some months earlier ,looking back it was very exciteing on the train I was in locked cabin ,hope all is going well with your build ,

Old 08-04-2015, 11:48 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
not to get off the subject ,but i went to Russia one time ,it was nicer then people think ,mosscow train station was a bit scary ,there was like a million people all around .all going somewhere I took a train to yoskar ola 16 hours ride ,thank god for the AC about 200 mile from Siberia I was in summer was hot it was nice ,then I came home an seen traveling abroad ,no it was fun some said I had a lot of guts to traval there alone ,,the airport had been bombed some months earlier ,looking back it was very exciteing on the train I was in locked cabin ,hope all is going well with your build ,
Hi, nice journey too but home is home. Here we have a heat wave almost 42 deg C !!!!!!

Thanks god I am almost half way in the course. The last week and a final exam and back to the Camaro. I had no time to work on the Camaro due to study. But I got in contact with John Kilgore Racing Transmissions and we are discussing between either 4L80 or TH400. Nelson Racing recommended John Kilgore regarding tranny.

Any one dealt before or heard about John Kilgore Racing Transmission?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by clacia
Hello, how are you? Back from Russia?
May I ask you please what is the Stall Speed of the Torque Convertor you are using?
Thanks
I am back from Russia for another week, what are you wondering? And I believe that my stall is low, 2200 or something. I am very happy that I didn't get a monster stall like i had in my TH350. My tires are already gone with the low stall.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
Russia is a **** hole. Moscow and St. Petersbourg don't count as they are large developed cities. Everywhere else i have ever been to look exactly like third world countries just like other places around the world. There is garbage everywhere, the people are terrible to deal with and everyone is a theif.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:52 PM
4th Gear Member

the place i went was ok ,they spent all there money on churchs though ,,i dont know if it helped i am huge guy ,but i was careful not to go to far at night ,thought it was a city known for american men to travle to as well as alot of other country ,they like if your spending money ,home is much better ,hey glad to hear you getting close ,to half way ,mabey next year then ,

Old 08-08-2015, 12:02 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
I am back from Russia for another week, what are you wondering? And I believe that my stall is low, 2200 or something. I am very happy that I didn't get a monster stall like i had in my TH350. My tires are already gone with the low stall.

The stall for the 572 from nelson is going to be 2500 stall. would this be too high for street use? never had A/M tranny before so cannot tell.

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build