My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 AM
2nd Gear member
Default My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Hello everyone, Im new to this forum and since im starting the build on my camaro i figured i would sign up as forums have helped in so many ways with other toys.

To start with a bit about my car

I have a 1970 camaro that my dad bought for me when i was 14. At the time it had some sort of 350 through a TH350 and what i think were 2.73 non posi gears. When i turned 15 me and a couple buddies ripped and tore the car apart. We pulled the engine, trans and entire interior... finding out later that there are certain ways to properly tear down a car and we did not do it the right way. When i was 16 my dad and i started to put it back together with some new interior peices and a rebuilt 350. I finially drove the car at 17 for 4 or 5 months in grade 12 where it was then parked for the snow.

Around 5 years later we got it running again but still never put it back on the street.

Another 2 or three years later i took it to the dyno shop to get it tuned up, yet still never put it on the road.

Over the years the replacement parts have been piling up in the shop but nothing has never been done. Now 13 years after the car was purchased a real build is finally beginning.

I dont have any pictures but i plan on putting them up here when i take some. I appreciate any help or input that anyone is willing to give as i am not a mechanic and have never built up a car before. Please feel free to give any insight you may have to this thread. I am going to try and not flood the boards with different threads with questions i will try and post everyone on this one thread in order to keep everything together.

The new motor that i have sitting beside the car is a GM performance parts 572/620hp. I am going to mate it up to a 4L80 built by www.transmissioncenter.net in hopes of not blowing the tranny. The rear is is going to be a posi currie 9" with 4.11 gears and a wilwood brake conversion.

I am not going to get into much more detail yet because i am waiting for parts to show up but please stay tuned as i will have a ton of questions in the future.

Jeff

Old 06-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Overdrive Member

Welcome, the is one helleva bullet you have. The only thing is can try and help with so far is the rear gear. 4.11 is steep when you account for the trannys deep first gear and the monster torque the motor motor will develop. It will fry the biggest tire you can fit under there. Not a bad thing, just saying. It will be squirrely at very light throttle.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome! Looking forward to your build, and hope you enjoy it. I agree with Damon, if it's got that much power and torque it will not need 4:11 gears. Those low gears will work great for 1/4 mile times, but not so good for much else beyond around town driving.
After a few cruises down the freeway at 55 mph or more you'll be wishing you'd gone with 3.73 gears. I'm running 3.42 gears behind my big block, and think they're just about perfect.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Welcome to the forum! looking forward to your build.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I like your story behind the car. It sounds a lot like mine. We've had the car in the family since new. It hasn't been on the road in years. I've worked on it a little every few years. I've also finally started the "real build". Good luck in your project, don't forget the pictures take lots of them. even if you don't think they are worth sharing at least your have them for reference.

I also agree, you might find 4.11 a bit steep. 3.73 I think has been a magic number for many people. I'm going to stick with the factory 3.42 In my car for the time being. (mostly for the fuel economy.) But I guess depends on your intentions of use for your car.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Like the story so far and am looking forward to the pics. I agree with what others have already said, forget the 4.11's. I'm running 3.42's in mine and am really happy with them.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear member

First off i would like to thank everyone for the input and replies

As for the gearing...

The debate was over the 3.73s or the 4.11s. This car will never be a daily driver, it will only be a car that i can beat up on during weekends and the odd track day. I am not to sure what to do. I have an image in my head of what i want to the car to do and will be extremely frustrated if it doesnt perform as planned. My worry is, i have read a couple reviews on the net that stated that this engine does not have the bottom end torque that would be expected.

According to my calculations i get the following

4.11s
60Mph = 2200rpm
3.73s
60Mph = 2016rpm

Max speed calculations are as follows
4.11 @ 6000rpm
1st - 49mph
2nd - 82mph
3rd - 121mph
4th - 162mph

1st - 54mph
2nd - 90mph
3rd - 134mph
4th - 178mph

All of these speeds are assuming i go with a 28" rear tire. I am just having a hard time seeing why i need a first gear that goes 54mph and a second gear thats 90mph. It seems to me that if i go 3.73s it will slow it down. The number i have in my head for the 1/4 mile is 11.6 seconds. I want to make one good pass down there just to be satisfied. I live in Calgary Alberta Canada and any car that breaks 12 seconds is a bad a$$ car.

1972BB427
I think the first issue i am having with my install is the engine motor mounts. I see you have a big block in your car. Did your car originally come with the BBC or did you install it aftermarket? I have NO idea what kind of motor mounts to get? Would you happen to know what you used? Or would you happen to have any suggestions on what route to go down for this?

Pablo63
Same question, i see you have a 468 in it. I dont know if my 572 will use the same motor mounts or not but i am at a loss here. You say you really enjoy your 3.42s, have you ever been to the strip? And has your setup been dynoed? I dont really want to make a mistake when it comes to buying the 4.11s but i would be happier having too low of gearing then buying the 3.73s and wishing i had gone with the 4.11s.

JMEZ28
Are you currently working on your car? Looked at the pictures of it and am wondering if there is or will be any updates on it.

I have added some information for my car. If anyone has some time please take a look at my future modifications and let me know if you see something that isnt going to work.

Hope to hear from anyone soon.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Overdrive Member

Ok, the issue I have is hooking it up. I think thats the point I was trying to make at least. 28 x ? Slick or street tire? In my experience, it is limited but I do have some. You start making that kind of torque and putting that steep of gear then E.T.s will suffer from lost traction. Unless your building something with the rear suspension and tires to deal with it.

I'm not sure I want the 3.73s in my car behind my 383 and I plan on a 315 tire. But they were there and I will give it a go before deciding.

Larger gears help cars with lower torque move. I will use our own F bodies as the example.

My 78' Z came with 3.42 stock. 350 w/ TH350.

My 80' came w/ 305 and 3.73s with a TH 350.

My 79' Trans Am had a 403 Olds (stock) making over 300 ft lbs and a TH 400 (lower first gear) and 3.23s

It was give and take more grunt from the motor you have the less gear you need to get you moving.

Just to be clear I'm not dawging you by in any way. Just offering opinion.

Last edited by 77nomad; 06-13-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear member

I think I might need to call Currie and get them to swap out the gearing. Makes me sad to say that. My issue is im trying to compare my new 572 to the mild 350 i had with a TH350. I wished i had gone to the 4.11s in that car and dont want to make the same mistake of wishing i went with higher gearing. I have yet to hear someone say stick with the 4.11s so there has to be some truth in this matter. Thanks everyone

Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 PM
2nd Gear member

What is everyones take on electric water GMPP water pump that game on the ZZ and replacing it with an electric GMPP water pump.

Also, does anyone know of a good place to buy aftermarket rads? I like the look of the becool stuff, i think the show n go or whatever its called aftermarket rad and fan setup would look great under the hood.

Any opinions?

Also still looking for ideas on correct big block motor mounts.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build