78 camaro project

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:43 PM
Default 78 camaro project

hey everyone i just bought a 78 camaro for dirt cheap and shes loaded with good stuff (ill post some pictures later), but shes also loaded with issues, it looks like someone slapped and engine and trans in the car and left it. im starting by solving some wiring issues cause these people clearly did not know what they were doing, some help would be great. there are some loose sockets hanging around on the inside idk if they are important/needed but here they are, this first one is hanging under the dash right about where the gas pedal is [IMG][/IMG]

and this other one is right below the glove box
[IMG][/IMG]

where do they go? thanks.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

Looks like the radio/speaker connectors. Does the car still have the factory radio in it? Welcome to the group!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:18 PM

thanks for the reply, no it does not currently have any radio in it, it looks like it has a harness for a more modern radio so i guess that solves that issue haha, i have another question this ones related to the engine ill post a pic(im new to the whole carb setup, in the valve covers there are holes my guess is one is an oil fill and the other is a breather?? what is supposed to go over them? [IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-16-2015, 02:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, you could get a breather/grommet for one side for the oil fill, the other side should probably have a pcv valve with a hose going from it to the center port on the front of your carb.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 PM

i dont seem to see a port on the carb for a pcv valve to go to, all i see are two smaller ports on the passenger side of the carb and one big port on the back where the brake booster is connected, see the pics, also on the msd distributor there is a pressure regulator with a cap on it(you can see it in the back of one of the pics i posted) does that connect to the carb on one of those smaller ports? Thanks for your help

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

here is the picture with the pressure regulator that is capped off in the back, and also where the booster connects into the back of the carb
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-16-2015, 10:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Didn't realize you had a Holley carb, they are a bit different than Edelcrocks. I would suggest going to the Holley website and downloading an operator's guide for your carb, that will detail what/where all the ports are. I'm not sure if they have 2 of the larger ports where you could connect a hose coming from a pcv valve. Otherwise, you could always get a "T" from auto parts and connect both the brake booster and pcv to the same port. The canister in the pic is your vacuum advance for your timing. You should connect a smaller hose from that canister to one of the smaller ports on the side of the carb. Probably take the black cap off the bottom/manifold vacuum port and connect the hose from the vacuum advance can to that. Then use that same black cap and put it on the small port higher up on the carb - which is the ported vacuum port. Any of those ports left uncapped and you will have a vacuum leak. Another suggestion is to utilize Youtube. There are thousands of helpful videos that can show you how/where to connect what. Many videos direct from Holley that'll be helpful also.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:40 PM

thanks for the help! im going to wrench on it tomorrow and get some of this wiring and hoses figured out i really wanna hear this thing run! ill keep the thread updated, thank you for your help!

Old 08-17-2015, 12:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

I wish you luck getting everything figured out and hearing the engine run! There are others on here that are far more of a wealth of knowledge than myself but always happy to help if I can. Now, if I can only get my issues figured out! LOL

Old 08-28-2015, 08:14 PM

what issues do you have? and i got her running the other day, it ran great! i had to rebuild the carb and replace some fuel lines but after it fired right up, just have to fix the timing cause its off

Old 08-30-2015, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

Glad you got it running, congrats! I completely rebuilt everything on mine, first time ever doing that and did it by myself (well, with my 2 kids.) Mine runs great all the way up to when you try and step on it. Then, not so much. Hopefully I'll get it figured out sometime. It's been a huge test of resilience for sure. Hope you can get out and have some fun with yours!

Quick Reply: 78 camaro project