74 back on the road?

Old 09-26-2015, 01:00 AM
Default 74 back on the road?

Hello, Brand new to the forum. Quick history. In Iraq bought 74 Camaro. Come to states and find not exactly what I wanted (go figure) roof hacked for T-tops but looks ok. engine and trans far off from factory. So it is a 454 out of a mid 80's one ton pick up. can some one please confirm believe that is a 4 bolt main. and 4 speed Muncie I know its the wide gear range is that an M22? Now the fun begins. Fast forward 4 years... Married wife, kids, house.. guess what sat for 3.5 years, that's right my car....... I look in the garage and feel disappointed but just never moved on it. Now I want it back on the road for spring and looking for advice. I'm a truck mechanic so not completely lost on this.. except what's spark? you mean this isn't a compression fire engine.. ok all joking aside, update options... I'm thinking oil, filter, lube, fuel, any obvious gasket leaks, maybe new distributor (what is the multi-spark and good brands?) Also live in MA (It is not enjoyable believe me) I have safety inspection and no reverse light operation, how did Muncie work these and website for parts please. Looking for engine dress up kit any suggestions I want it to look like its not new and from china. Also any thoughts on bringing roof back to hard top? Might of missed some updates feel free to enlighten a diesel mechanic.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Dave619
Hello, Brand new to the forum. Quick history. In Iraq bought 74 Camaro. Come to states and find not exactly what I wanted (go figure) roof hacked for T-tops but looks ok. engine and trans far off from factory. So it is a 454 out of a mid 80's one ton pick up. can some one please confirm believe that is a 4 bolt main. and 4 speed Muncie I know its the wide gear range is that an M22? Now the fun begins. Fast forward 4 years... Married wife, kids, house.. guess what sat for 3.5 years, that's right my car....... I look in the garage and feel disappointed but just never moved on it. Now I want it back on the road for spring and looking for advice. I'm a truck mechanic so not completely lost on this.. except what's spark? you mean this isn't a compression fire engine.. ok all joking aside, update options... I'm thinking oil, filter, lube, fuel, any obvious gasket leaks, maybe new distributor (what is the multi-spark and good brands?) Also live in MA (It is not enjoyable believe me) I have safety inspection and no reverse light operation, how did Muncie work these and website for parts please. Looking for engine dress up kit any suggestions I want it to look like its not new and from china. Also any thoughts on bringing roof back to hard top? Might of missed some updates feel free to enlighten a diesel mechanic.
Well that's fair number of questions, and changes to do. The roof can be brought back, but will need at least a complete new skin. Might need bracing on the back side, if that's been butchered too.
Wide or close ratio does not determine an M22. The square cut gears are the determining factor. You might jack the car up, and get numbers off the case, which will reveal what it might be, if it isn't modified. Only real way to tell is pulling the side plate and examining it. Since you're looking for parts for the Muncie, I'd guess it's coming out. So wait until it's apart, and you'll know for sure what it is, and what it needs. The input shaft, and number of cuts in the input shaft will help determine if it's close or wide ratio; again, if it's not been changed.
Muncie 4 speed transmission parts

I personally prefer finding old parts in good shape to dress up my BBC. I like the older USA built parts, and even if they cost a bit more, or need polishing, I still prefer that look. I've gotten mine from swap meets, and Craigslist. No shortage of used BBC dress up parts. My old school M/T valve covers were $40, and needed a bit of clean up to make them look decent. Everything on my engine was purchased used; even the Edelbrock aluminum heads, and the engine itself! Less than $2,000 in this engine, and she runs hard!

Old 09-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Well I guess if pulling the trans to figure out how to get reverse lights is the only way it could be worse, at least it's not that heavy. I agree that its probably best to stay away from the new crap on a dress up kit, Those valve covers are sharp. Thanks for the advice and hopefully ill get that trans out soon

Old 09-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Dave619
Well I guess if pulling the trans to figure out how to get reverse lights is the only way it could be worse, at least it's not that heavy. I agree that its probably best to stay away from the new crap on a dress up kit, Those valve covers are sharp. Thanks for the advice and hopefully ill get that trans out soon
No, it's probably not necessary to pull the trans to get a backup light working. I only mentioned that because you mentioned you were looking for parts, and also wanted to know what you had. Some old 4 speeds had a backup light switch built into the trans, which will allow it to be wired for that purpose. On others I have mounted a limit switch to the housing by making a bracket, and adjusting the switch so the arm trips it when moved into reverse. Simpler than any other method of getting backup lights, and LS are cheap.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:47 AM

Ok, That makes it even easier. So I know on most truck applications there is a reverse switch that threads into the trans case and is actuated internally when put in reverse. Should I be looking for the same thing, or should I be trying to look for an external switch or is it one of those things "You will have to just look at it"? Again thank you for the input. I grew up in the newer age of doing things and not quite sure how things were done 20 years before I was born.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:18 PM
4th Gear Member

glad to hear that i had my eyes on a 1974 pro street was a nice car ,there is all all kinds of dress up parts for BBC engines ebay camaro hawks others ,i would start with desent set of valve covers cast aluminum,MSD is good an seems to be a big choise for spark opti makes wire kits you can cut to the size, you want ,an looms that hold them out away from the covers well,another good thing is to post pictures of the car

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-30-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sorry about the delay, been out of town for a week. I'd look over the trans for a switch location. Then if none is found, go to an external switch. The one that threads in will be on the driver's side main body of the trans, if I remember correctly.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:02 PM
4th Gear Member

pictures lets see what you got back on the road