632ci engine installation in 78 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear member

It has been a long time since I have left some feedback here. This summer was very busy. I had to travel on work and had few time left in the garage.

I continued working on the 4 link - installing the frame brackets and modifying how to bolt it to the frame rails (I will show pictures of the project later on). It took me some time but nearly there.

I have ordered a stainless steel fuel tank from Ricks Tanks together with an immersible walbro 450 fuel pump. Rick is a nice guy.

As well I finalised my order on a 6 point 1 3/4 0.134" mild steel rollbar and front struts from Chris Alston's Chassiswork. As well very helpful people to deal with.

Soon the Camaro will be in for the surgery......body repair and roll bar installation.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 4fuelishpleasure
I'm building a pro street 78 z28, does anybody have a solution for the heavy front bumper rebar? If I delete it, there wont be enough support for the urethane nose that extends quite far forward.
I guess the hole saw is the last resort. I was hoping for an aftermarket solution!
The rear rebar is can be replaced with a straight piece of aluminum extrusion but the front is beyond my fabrication skills.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by clacia
Please correct me if I am wrong, the 1980 second gen is without that heavy metal in the front. The nose is of fiberglass. You can replace the original urethane with a glassfiber one. I will go for a fiber one.

Good luck on your build mate.
I love the fiberglass idea. I wish I'd known before the paint and body work stage.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 4fuelishpleasure
I love the fiberglass idea. I wish I'd known before the paint and body work stage.

Yes it is nice and stronger than the urethane one

Old 12-25-2015, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Merry Christmas and Happy new Year to All

Old 12-26-2015, 02:06 PM
4th Gear Member

same to you clacia happy newyear

Old 08-30-2016, 12:47 PM
4th Gear Member

hum I wonder about its been 8 months heard nothing about this build

Old 08-31-2016, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Hello, yes no so much time left for the Camaro unfortunately for the past 8 months. My wife and me had a beautiful baby boy and with 2 kids, life changes a lot. Who has little kids should know what I am saying. But is nice and fun as well - time that never comes again.

In the mean time on the Camaro, the sheet metal shop just completed the work on the doors, front fenders, hood and tail lid. Nice piece of work (and time investment). Next Wednesday will roll the car in the shop to start messaging the body. Maybe by beginning of Jannuary will have the car back in my garage ready from the body restoration.

Next will be Chris Alliston roll cage installation and ride tech triangulated 4 link installation.

Not sure but maybe place my order for the engine and tranny combo early next year....

This year was a quiet year for me on the Camaro. But planning and thinking on the way forward

Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 AM
4th Gear Member

oh yes congrats yes I know I have friends that have children too ,it does take up a lot of time actually new born all ones time glad to hear some work had got done though ,I so want to see this car when its done ,I get jegs in the mail an I notice thay have a 632 bbc pushing like 800hp an for the price tag of about 11k seems reasonable ,though I think mabey you were looking to another engine in 500 CI bb,i just thought that was a pretty good deal with 30 month 50.000 mile warranty for a turn key BB don't see an engine comes close with the hp for that with Dyno sheet too ,an glad to hear things are going well clacia

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-01-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
oh yes congrats yes I know I have friends that have children too ,it does take up a lot of time actually new born all ones time glad to hear some work had got done though ,I so want to see this car when its done ,I get jegs in the mail an I notice thay have a 632 bbc pushing like 800hp an for the price tag of about 11k seems reasonable ,though I think mabey you were looking to another engine in 500 CI bb,i just thought that was a pretty good deal with 30 month 50.000 mile warranty for a turn key BB don't see an engine comes close with the hp for that with Dyno sheet too ,an glad to hear things are going well clacia

Hello again, yes things moving slowly at the moment. But at least not stopped.

Had a look at the jegs engine. nice as well. But I have been dreaming about Tom Nelson all my entire hobby time. First I was going for the 632ci from Tom Nelson but I changed my mind. I fancy his 572 Hot rod series with dart block and dart aluminium heads, 1050 dominator (specially tuned by him to be streetable).

The tranny will be th400 specially built by Kilgore. And rear ratio will be 3.55. I decided this ratio for the reason of the torque convertor 2500 rpm stall. So if I drive at 2000 rpm, the slip percentage will not be enough, and with a good transmission cooler, will keep the tranny cool. Well we have to see...

My calculations are:- 2000 engine rpm on the third 1.00 ratio the car will be doing around 70KPH with 295/35/18 tyres. This is my driving speed for where I live. This is more than enough for here. When I want more speed just press the pedal and will reach more or less 210KPH..... I think this is more than enough.

Would like to have some replies on this.. Perhaps other people has other ideas. I know about the 4L80 but I would like to stay with the TH400.

Quick Reply: 632ci engine installation in 78 camaro