79 right turn signal not blinking

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Default 79 right turn signal not blinking

Hey all. Just got my first Camaro! Pretty happy about it! But it needs a lot of work. The first think I currently want to get done is fix the right front turn signal. I don't want to get pulled over for dumb crap like that. The problem with it is it does not blink. When the head lights come on it comes on but does not blink when I flip the turn signal handle. I have checked the bulb and it is seated properly. The rear works fine too. I cleaned contacts and wiggled wires. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ground strap add a ground to the body near the passenger headlight it is a very common problem secong the turn signal plugs groung wire is common for corroding and breaking so it could be worth it to try replacing it

Old 04-05-2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by greencamaro1981
ground strap add a ground to the body near the passenger headlight it is a very common problem secong the turn signal plugs groung wire is common for corroding and breaking so it could be worth it to try replacing it
I trouble shot and traced the wires and I have figured out that the blue wire is the problem. The problem is it traces all the way to under the dash and I loose it. Any ideas? Thank you very much! It def lead me in the correct direction.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear member

It isn't flashing because that side isn't drawing enough current through the flasher module. Compare the left and right side lamps. See which right side one(s) isn't coming on (steady) compared with the same one on the left side that is flashing. That will tell you where to look.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

most common it is a tail light socket that is corroded i thought that once in the firewall it went into the fuse blockthe little marker light under the battery is another common spot thats misse3d due to the inconvienience of getting at it

Old 04-27-2014, 09:17 AM

Rear socket is corroded as hell. Im going to replace front and rear sockets. Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Get new lamps when you replace the sockets too. Might as well start with all new!

Old 05-03-2014, 01:53 PM

Had a beautiful day today and free time to work on my car. I replaced the front socket, cleaned rear socket and replaced bulbs. Then I steippe the power line for passenger side under the good an hooked it up to the driver side to test the wire and sockets again. All good. Traced it under the dash to the harness under the steering coloumn. Found the cord coming from the turn signal switch. No power but the rear was getting power. Didn't want to get too involved so I piggybacked the front turn signal off the rears power. Works great! Thank you all for your suggestions!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 AM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just went through this with mine. Turns out, it was just the flasher unit. Worked fine on left but not on right. Never seen just half of a flasher go out, but a new flasher fixed all. and Like you, I was getting ready to tear all apart.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dve33
Had a beautiful day today and free time to work on my car. I replaced the front socket, cleaned rear socket and replaced bulbs. Then I steippe the power line for passenger side under the good an hooked it up to the driver side to test the wire and sockets again. All good. Traced it under the dash to the harness under the steering coloumn. Found the cord coming from the turn signal switch. No power but the rear was getting power. Didn't want to get too involved so I piggybacked the front turn signal off the rears power. Works great! Thank you all for your suggestions!
I know this is a very old post. But anyways you might have a pic or anything I can use. I’m having the exact same problem. When I turn on the DRL the passenger side turns on and stays on but if I activate the passenger turn signal I get nothing. I replaced the flasher, all sockets all bulbs. No issues with any of the other lights but the passenger turn signal. When I turn on my hazards again everything flashes but the passenger turn signal. So anything you might have that helped would be appreciated. Thanks