Camaro is tilted

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Camaro is tilted

So, I thought I had a tired leaf spring, nope.

My 78 is at the welders getting a cage installed. He has a level floor. When you put the car on 4 jack stands then rear passenger side sits about 1/2 an inch above the jack stand. The front is also a little tweaked.

Any ideas how I can pull the corner down long enough to weld in the cage. I am going to take a few 100lb of steal weights over there and fill the corner of the trunk with them.

Any ide why it is tweaked. Im guessing the engine had to much torque. Where could it be bent? There are not any visible bends. Sub-frame has all new poly bushings, and I installed frame connectors.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you saying the right rear is completely off the stand? How do you know it's not the left front that's tweaked high? The weight of the engine, etc. in front is more than likely going to overcome the back end weight. Since engine torque lifts the front drivers side of the car, I would look closer there. Put the front of the body on jack stands towards the rear of the subframe. Then see how the back looks, and also measure from the very front of the subframe down to the floor on both sides to see if the drivers side is high. The subframe could be tweaked, or where it mounts onto the body could be bent.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear member

interesting idea. Bushings are new. Makes more since that it is the subframe.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Overdrive Member

I would look at the subframe too. And then ditch the poly bushings. Did you put the frame connectors in with the vehicle weight on the tires. If the front was tweeked up when you welded them in (or bolted) it will stay that way.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear member

sub-frame connector were bolted in with the car in the air.

After taking a lot more measurements, it appears it is the subframe. The welder is leveling out the body, then welding in the cage. I will have to deal with the subframe when it gets back.

Why would you ditch the sub-frame bushings?
They seem kinda important. Are you replacing them with solid spacers?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Overdrive Member

I meant was the car supported under the subframe and rear rails or was it on a drive on lift. Or even ramps front and back. The weight needs to be on the tires when bolting them in. Before the connectors were on did you ever jack it up and set on stands and when you let the jack down watch the front of the car droop alittle? If that lift in the front was there when you bolted them in its still there now. I did this very thing yesterday when I jack mine up to install the tranny. Very noticable when there isn't any sheetmetal.

From what I understand they alow movement. The poly ones that is. Pro touring fbody and Globel West sell a solid one.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM
2nd Gear member

support on four jack stands, on the sub-frame and frame connectors.

The car is titled when sitting on the ground with or without frame connectors. that is why I thought it was a wore leaf spring. But it is tilted when on jack stands.

Im not sure how there is any way to adjust the frame-connectors. There are three bolts in the rear that bolt above the leaf spring perch. Then the front bolts into to the body mount. No side bolts to allow for any adjustment.

The car was flat on the ground when I tightened the frame connector down. I snugged them up in the air, but tightened them when it was on the ground.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like it may have been in an accident. Might have a tweaked subframe. Takes a lot of power and a lot of hard launches to twist them.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Overdrive Member

Ok thats what I was getting at. Well I have a subframe too If you want to go on a road trip.