need advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 05:53 AM
Question need advice please.

I am going to buy a mig welder this afternoon. I was wondering if I should go gassless or gas. I don't have a big budget and I am not installing a new 220v outlet in this house. It's a rental.I am going to be mainly welding patch panels and trunk floor with it. I am not building a mint original show car trailer queen either. I'm building a ride that hauls *** and looks decent.PLEASE HELP ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPREACIATED..

Old 07-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by swfladad
I am going to buy a mig welder this afternoon. I was wondering if I should go gassless or gas. I don't have a big budget and I am not installing a new 220v outlet in this house. It's a rental.I am going to be mainly welding patch panels and trunk floor with it. I am not building a mint original show car trailer queen either. I'm building a ride that hauls *** and looks decent.PLEASE HELP ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPREACIATED..
Don't make the mistake of buying a Mig welder that uses flux core wire. You'll end up with contaminated welds that wont hold paint or primer, as the flux leaves a residue that will really mess things up. A solid wire, and argon mix shielding is the best way, and can be used on all sorts of welding, with no problems. If your budget is small, and you want to avoid installing a new outlet, then a 115v. welder is the way to go. They work great on thin metal, but can still weld up to 1/4" steel if you get a large enough size welder. I have a Miller 140 Autoset I purchased almost 5 years ago, and have used it often, and built two complete cars using it. I weld frames, mounts, and all sorts of thin sheet metal repairs with it. Best investment I ever made, and it works on any 20a. 115v. outlet, as long as other items aren't on at the same time on the same circuit.
I started out with a flux core HF welder that was 100a., and it did OK, but had issues with the flux residue. I also had some ugly welds, and trouble welding. I thought it was me, until I got the new welder, and realized the welder was the issue. Day and night difference between the two welders! Do yourself a favor, and save up until you can get a decent welder that runs on 115v., and argon mix. I've seen them at places like Eastwood for just over $400. I don't think they're quite as good as a Miller 140, but still better than many import flux core welders. I paid $700, but mine came with a full tank of 75/25 argon mix, wire, and a welding cart. I own the tank also, as that was included in the price. I'd never rent a tank, unless I was a business that welded every day. Rental fees continue to be charged, even when your welder is sitting idle.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:20 PM

Too late, already bought one. And there is no place around here that has a mig welder that uses gas and runs on regular household current. I am sure if they did it would be too much money for me anyway. But thank you for the advice, i will just have to be careful and take my time.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by swfladad
Too late, already bought one. And there is no place around here that has a mig welder that uses gas and runs on regular household current. I am sure if they did it would be too much money for me anyway. But thank you for the advice, i will just have to be careful and take my time.
No offense. But why ask for advice, and then buy a welder before getting a response? Seems like a waste of both of our time. And where do you live that there are no stores that sell a Mig welder that wont run on 115v., and gas shielding? Must be a very remote area?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:00 PM

No offense but I asked that question 3 days before you replied ! I needed advice the same day. NOT 3 days after I already bought one.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:08 PM

Plus I stated I had a very limited budget. Not many people have that much money.Home depot and lowes probably have them,but they are NOT affordable !

Old 07-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Better take a closer look at the post. You asked on 7-5-2015, and I responded the very next day on 7-6-2015. I wont get in a pissing match with you, especially if you're that impatient.