Late 2nd Gen Engine

Old 07-04-2015, 01:29 AM
Default Late 2nd Gen Engine

I am new to the muscle car scene, my first car a 1995 camaro. Now I am ready to purchase my own car, and the late 2nd gen Camaros have really caught my eye. My main concern is the engine. After 1975 the hp ratings are not impressive at all. Now is the stock engine worth changing and tuning to improve horse or am I better off messing with a completely different engine? Any help is appreciated and I apologize in advance for my ignorance of mechanical workings.

***EDIT***
I appreciate all the help you guys have offered, it has been very useful. I'm still looking for that perfect 2nd gen. So when I do get the car, what do you guys think would be the most important things to improve on or change? I'm not quite sure how ti prioritize what all will need to be done like new suspension, cam, headers, exhaust, electrical fan ect. So what do you gear heads think?

Last edited by YoungMuscle; 07-26-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

That for gen. motor has been around for a long time and is easy to make all the HP you can handle on a budget price. Do what you want starting with a mild 350 and work you way up to a 434 inch SBC. The first thing with any 350 is a cam and heads with a good exhaust and your set.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your 95 is what I call a engine specific car. To me that means the engine was designed to fit into that car. In the 50's, 60's,70s and 80's GM built open architecture cars. That meant the engines are interchangeable. All second gen Camaros are open architecture. so you have a huge choice of what engine you put in there. Also there is a HUGE aftermarket support. So the question is what do you want out of the car and what is your budget. Just don't say I want as much HP as possible,

Another option is to upgrade the car to new tech, 2000+ LSX motors with fuel injection. everything is available so you can just remove a 5.3 from any rear wheel drive GM product and bolt that into your car. This is very popular upgrade these days.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the info! I think around 300-400 HP would be enough to keep me happy for a while. My biggest question is this: Is the stock 350 engine in say a 1978 Camaro Z28 worth modding and adding new parts to get more horse or am I better off just putting money into a new engine?

Old 07-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The stock late 70's 350 in a Camaro is well worth hotrodding, but any low compression engine will have it's limitations for big HP. Considering your goal is 300-400 hp, it will be just fine, and can get there easily.
As mentioned, the cam, intake, carb, heads, and headers, would be the route I'd also take. With new heads, you can also choose smaller combustion chambers, which will give your compression ratio a bump up. Smaller chambers can take the c.r. up a full point, with the right chamber. You can easily get 350-400 hp from a late 70's 350 that started around 8:1 c.r. But you need to make sure what you're starting with first! With 35 years or more of use, not many still have the stock engine untouched still. So determining what you're starting with is the key before beginning a build.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
The stock late 70's 350 in a Camaro is well worth hotrodding, but any low compression engine will have it's limitations for big HP. Considering your goal is 300-400 hp, it will be just fine, and can get there easily.
As mentioned, the cam, intake, carb, heads, and headers, would be the route I'd also take. With new heads, you can also choose smaller combustion chambers, which will give your compression ratio a bump up. Smaller chambers can take the c.r. up a full point, with the right chamber. You can easily get 350-400 hp from a late 70's 350 that started around 8:1 c.r. But you need to make sure what you're starting with first! With 35 years or more of use, not many still have the stock engine untouched still. So determining what you're starting with is the key before beginning a build.
That is some extremely useful info! I appreciate all the kind responses, this community is really friendly. When the time comes for me to purchase my Z, I will definitely come to this forum for help.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by YoungMuscle
That is some extremely useful info! I appreciate all the kind responses, this community is really friendly. When the time comes for me to purchase my Z, I will definitely come to this forum for help.
Keep in mind that is if the car has a 350, Most late second gen V8's are going to be a 305s. Those are not worth modding.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Keep in mind that is if the car has a 350, Most late second gen V8's are going to be a 305s. Those are not worth modding.
Yet again more useful info. I admire your knowledge of cars. So what would you consider to be a good price for a late 2nd gen camaro? They're not quite classics but not new either, kinda makes pricing a bit odd. And when I go to inspect it, what are the things I should look for?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Late 2nd gen Camaros are all over the place with pricing. Mostly affected by condition, and mileage. I see them in rough shape for under $1000, and in excellent shape in the $10k-$15k range.
When looking at any used Camaro, I'd have to buy considering what all I can do myself. Your ability to do various repairs should guide your purchase. You don't want to buy a car that needs repairs done that you'll have to pay someone else to do. You'll also want to find the most complete car possible, as finding small parts for late 2nd gen Camaros is almost impossible. They haven't reached the desirability of early 2nd gens, so many small trim items missing could drive you nuts trying to locate them!
I'd also want the best running, driving car I could afford. Buying the most car your budget allows, will avoid spending a lot more later to get where you want it. But if you want to build up a hotrod, then you probably don't want to start with a low mileage, one owner car. Too mush initial investment to later rework into a hotrod.
As with any Camaro, take a good look at the chassis, and lower body, for rust or hidden repairs. These are cars with over 35 years behind them, and in most rust belt areas, they'll have issues. Not sure where you're located, but it might be tough to find a solid car in some states.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Late 2nd gen Camaros are all over the place with pricing. Mostly affected by condition, and mileage. I see them in rough shape for under $1000, and in excellent shape in the $10k-$15k range.
When looking at any used Camaro, I'd have to buy considering what all I can do myself. Your ability to do various repairs should guide your purchase. You don't want to buy a car that needs repairs done that you'll have to pay someone else to do. You'll also want to find the most complete car possible, as finding small parts for late 2nd gen Camaros is almost impossible. They haven't reached the desirability of early 2nd gens, so many small trim items missing could drive you nuts trying to locate them!
I'd also want the best running, driving car I could afford. Buying the most car your budget allows, will avoid spending a lot more later to get where you want it. But if you want to build up a hotrod, then you probably don't want to start with a low mileage, one owner car. Too mush initial investment to later rework into a hotrod.
As with any Camaro, take a good look at the chassis, and lower body, for rust or hidden repairs. These are cars with over 35 years behind them, and in most rust belt areas, they'll have issues. Not sure where you're located, but it might be tough to find a solid car in some states.
Very helpful. Indiana has pretty harsh winters so rust is common. I don't like the idea of having to pay others to work on my car but until I can learn auto mechanics I don't have much of a choice. So I assume I should go for a camaro that is in good condition requiring little work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Late 2nd Gen Engine