2nd generation rear belts vs 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 2nd generation rear belts vs 3rd gen

I have a question. I am considering a purchase of either generation and I figured this would be the place to ask. Is there any way to equip the rear seat to have shoulder harnesses for child seats? I don't transport my children that often but I do at least once every 2 weeks. Most of the time, we take the family minivan.

This is kind of important to the decision on which generation I purchase even though I prefer the looks of 2nd gen by far.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Possible, but the real question is do you want to modify your car that intensively? If you converted a 2nd gen to old style shoulder harnesses, like they had for the front seats, it would take major reinforcement to have them work and hold properly. I wouldn't want to just drill holes and bolt the shoulder belts in, and not ensure they're strong enough to withstand a real accident.
The lower anchor point isn't an issue, as it can double up with the lap belt attachment point. The upper would need to either be under the sail panel, or in the corner of the package shelf. I'd choose the package shelf, as the trim can be easily removed, and a large 6"x6" 3/16" or 1/4" plate can be attached under the shelf in the trunk, and then a hole drilled to accept a seat belt attachment bolt. The shelf trim can be reinstalled and the shoulder belt added after that. If you want to make things easier, tack the nut to the bottom side of the plate, so you can bolt the harness on without having someone in the trunk to hold the nut.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I would definitely be willing to do that. I have access to a welder and grinder and all that good stuff. Do you know if there is a thread of others who have done this.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by JimmyCriswell
I would definitely be willing to do that. I have access to a welder and grinder and all that good stuff. Do you know if there is a thread of others who have done this.
No, but it wouldn't be hard if you have a welder. Just be sure to protect everything around the area to keep weld spatter off the rear glass, or interior trim. I'd drill a hole in the plate for the nut and bolt, and then put them through the hole. Tack the nut a couple places on the back, just to hold it. Then remove the bolt and lay it on the rear shelf, and mark where the hole needs to be.
Once you have the hole marked, and drilled, then drill 4 holes that will be inside the perimeter of the plate, through the package shelf. Bolt the plate to the shelf, and plug weld it to the shelf through each hole.
After that you just reassemble, put a hole in the tray trim, and add the shoulder harness, and you're done.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

i added a cross plate on the underside of the package tray and welded it in to add the shoulder mount spots for the rear seat

Old 01-25-2015, 07:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What kind of belts did you use? I have been looking at 89-92 models as they came with shoulder harnesses already. However, opening up my options certainly helps. How much do you think this would cost for the metal and shoulder harnesses? What thickness and size of sheet metal did you use to weld to the package tray?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:58 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by JimmyCriswell
What kind of belts did you use? I have been looking at 89-92 models as they came with shoulder harnesses already. However, opening up my options certainly helps. How much do you think this would cost for the metal and shoulder harnesses? What thickness and size of sheet metal did you use to weld to the package tray?
Since 2nd gens had a 3 point belt, why not use the same shoulder belt as they used, but in the rear? Simplest way to go, and probably still available at some wrecking yards. They can also be purchased new as a kit from National Parts Depot for $145.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

You have a good point. I did not know if they happen to have a different style between front and back. I guess it makes sense that one would work for both especially since I will be doing the mounting part myself.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

mine actuall came from a 08 g6 pontiac they were black and i used a 3/8 plate and the female end bolted directly to the stock location

Old 01-29-2015, 12:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

1979 Camaro-

does this look like a decent purchase?

What is the max you would pay for this condition?

Quick Reply: 2nd generation rear belts vs 3rd gen