1980 Camaro wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Default 1980 Camaro wiring problems

Hey guys, had a different account on here but for some reason when I'd go to request a new password it would always tell me the letters I typed in were wrong? Even though I had 3 people reread on the last one to make sure I was doin it right lol. And noone emailed me back so i figured makin a new one would be the best option.

Anywho....

I'm working on a 1980 z28 camaro, the engine/trans. and almost all of the engine compartment belongings are out. Completely stripped down the inside, now i'm working on the wiring the last guy left me with. They put in aftermarket gauges and spliced into almost every wire. I bought a wiring diagram however these wires that I post on here have me stumped for the most part and I was wondering if anyone could recognize em? If you do choose to look at em thank you very much for your time.

1. This brown wire is coming out of that grommet that is circled there and then emerges 5 or 6 inches later on the left of the grommet (also circled) and is cut off at the end. Inside the car it goes in about a foot and a half and is cut. Not taped to any other cord or in any bunch of cords, my first instinct was that its for the functional air induction flap on this car but I'm not 100%

2. Just below the brake booster on the driver side there is a cluster of wires coming out of the firewall. There is this blue one that I circled that is cut and has about 3 or 4 inches of wire, no idea where it goes inside.

3. There is this hose that runs along the dash and ends on the passeneger side of the dash, I'm assuming its a vacuum hose because it has a screw in it, any ideas?

4. Driverside dash area there is this plug with orange and black wires. Anyone recognize it?

5. On top of the steering comlumn inside th car, pretty close to the firewall is this off white plastic thing. When you turn the outside shell of the steering column it turns the switch inside this mechanism so I was thinking maybe some kind of primitive reverse light switch?

6. Next there is this plug-in on the steering column. The other plug covers the majority of the spades however it leaves a couple unplugged at the far end, am I missing something?

7. Next is this plug also around the drivers side dash area, the blue things are splices that someone put on the yellow wire and the black/white wire.

8. The next picture has 3 mysteries. The two red circles are plugs that I am absolutely lost on, I'm assuming something to do with climate control. The blue circle is the only pic I have of my next problem and its of the top of the box, whereas my problem is on the side kinda close to the engine. There is this odd protrusion that doesn't appear to do anything however I dont understand why they would make it if they didnt need it so I was wondering if you guys knew if I needed to repair it. I tried my best to do a ms paint drawing of it.

Sorry for the long post and in advance any answers are greatly appreciated

Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Wasn't sure about the wiring myself but these helped me out

try this link
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

Name:  70-engwire.jpg
Views: 22072
Size:  116.8 KB

P.S. maybe make some of the pics a bit smaller

Old 05-04-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 80ZJoe
Wasn't sure about the wiring myself but these helped me out

try this link
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

P.S. maybe make some of the pics a bit smaller
Thanks for the website, yeah I need to resize the ones at the bottom. Well I think I figured out my problem #1. On this wiring diagram it would appear to be the Tach Filter ASM? Did a lil googling and it sounds like I don't need it, can anyone confirm this?
http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/78w-eng.jpg

Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

#5 is the neutral safety switch to keep it from starting in gear.
The yellow and black wires are for the dash lights I believe, so someone may have hooked aux. gauge and wanted the light to dim with dash lights.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Overdrive Member

Man someone really f'ed with that car. God speed brother.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

Number 4 is the connector to the stock amp gauge if I remember correctly... I know it's one of the stock gauges on the left of the speedometer.

The vacuum line I think is for the vacuum actuated side vent door by the passenger kick panel.

Number 1 is the stock tach I think.

Number 7 I think I recognize but don't remember right this second.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
#5 is the neutral safety switch to keep it from starting in gear.
The yellow and black wires are for the dash lights I believe, so someone may have hooked aux. gauge and wanted the light to dim with dash lights.
Thanks man, that makes sense cuz it turns with the shifter.

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Man someone really f'ed with that car. God speed brother.
Haha thanks, i have a deadline of a lil over a month from now.

Originally Posted by kyphur
Number 4 is the connector to the stock amp gauge if I remember correctly... I know it's one of the stock gauges on the left of the speedometer.

The vacuum line I think is for the vacuum actuated side vent door by the passenger kick panel.

Number 1 is the stock tach I think.

Number 7 I think I recognize but don't remember right this second.
Thanks! I appreciate the help, The vacuum hose is in that same area too so I think your onto something.
I'll grab the original tach I have for a 78 and see if the plug matches.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM

Any ideas on the mystery box?

Old 05-20-2010, 03:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Not sure what you mean by the "mystery box". Inside is a part of the A/C system.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by kyphur
Not sure what you mean by the "mystery box". Inside is a part of the A/C system.
The first pic below number 8, the derelict looking sheet metal on the right of the pic is my wheel well to put it in perspective. Well I guess its not really a mystery box, just the mystery protrusion.

My crappy ms paint drawings are from a perspective view of inside the engine compartment looking at the passenger side firewall

Last edited by megamax42; 05-20-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 1980 Camaro wiring problems