1978 Z28 Turn Signal/Brake Light/Hazard Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1978 Z28 Turn Signal/Brake Light/Hazard Issue

Hey everyone, looking for a little help here. I've got something odd going on with the car. I recently lost my turn signals and hazard lights. I checked and even changed the fuses. The fuses weren't bad to begin with but i figured it couldnt hurt to throw in a fresh fuse. That didn't solve the issue. I then changed the flasher and the hazards briefly flashed and then stop working again. The turn signal switch feels perfect in the column when I push it up or down. The car only has 13,000 miles on it so I don't think wear would be an issue. Anyways, this morning, I lost my brake lights which had been working the whole time even after I lost turn signals and the hazards. I checked the fuse and again it was perfect as it was a new fuse because it is on the same fuse as the hazards and I had replaced it. My taillights and headlights along with the high and low beams work perfect. As does everything else coming from the fuse panel. Any ideas? Thanks all

Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

try posting in the second gen section, they might know more

Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Poof....and he's there!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Start with the basics. Since you have no brake lights, turn signals, or 4 way flashers, I'd check the outputs from the column, and also both sides of the brake light switch. Get a meter or better yet, a 12v. test lamp.
Here's a link to 1978 wiring diagrams that will tell you what colors you have at various locations, so you can check at the column for voltage with blinkers or flashers on.

Camaro Wiring & Electrical Information

http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/78w-rear.jpg

Old 07-13-2013, 04:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks guys, that was a complete mistake that I posted it in this thread rather than the 2nd Gen thread, I meant to post it there. Anyways, thanks also for the input. I'm assuming there is some type of wiring issue going on, it just doesn't make much sense how I lost turn signals and hazards at one point and then lost brake lights at another point. I put a new flasher and brake light switch in the car and have the same result. I used a test light to test if the brake light switch was working and I have constant power to one side of the switch and on the other side, I have power until I depress the plunger, which would mean the switch is functioning properly because when the plunger on the switch expands the test light lights up. All my fuses are also good and I have power to all the the fuses that would have anything to do with the brake lights, hazards, and turn signals. Electrical stuff is not really my strong point so I may have to bring the car to an auto electric place. If I didn't lose brake lights on top of the hazards and turn signals that originally stopped working then I would guess that the switch in the column may not be functioning properly. I'm thinking I may have a short somewhere in the wiring. Not too sure....Thanks again guys

Old 07-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Overdrive Member

Loose ground somewhere?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

77nomad, any ideas where I can look for a possible loose ground that would effect the turns, hazards, and brake lights. Again, I have tailights and the brake lights and tailights share the same bulb. Also i double checked all my fuses and switches and everything is functioning properly. I know I didn't previously mention it but for the hazards and turns, I also don't get the arrows illuminating in the instrument panel, nor do I have the flasher clicking when I put a signal on but I do have power to everything.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Probably not a ground since your taillights and headlights work fine.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Overdrive Member

Hmm. The harness to the rear isnt very complicated. It is a few wires running down the DS over the wheel hump through the back dash ( for lack of a better word) and run between the speaker and the 1/4 panel. Not alot to go wrong. Are you positive the flasher relay is good? Is it the correct one, not that there many choices. Check the socket. I would have to be sitting in front of it with a meter to talk you through it but I would bet Val (1971BB427) can. Other than that I dont know. I would start at the socket and make sure power is getting to the relay. That kind of tells you which direction to head. Or start at the switch and work down like mentioned before.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Hmm. The harness to the rear isnt very complicated. It is a few wires running down the DS over the wheel hump through the back dash ( for lack of a better word) and run between the speaker and the 1/4 panel. Not alot to go wrong. Are you positive the flasher relay is good? Is it the correct one, not that there many choices. Check the socket. I would have to be sitting in front of it with a meter to talk you through it but I would bet Val (1971BB427) can. Other than that I dont know. I would start at the socket and make sure power is getting to the relay. That kind of tells you which direction to head. Or start at the switch and work down like mentioned before.
I agree Damon. I would get a test light and start at the connector on the column, using the diagram I posted a link to. Check input 12v. power to ground. Then turn on the left and right turn signals, and check to see if the corresponding output from turnsignal sw. has power. After that pull the flasher slightly out of it's socket to check terminals with flasher still in place. Eventually it will lead to checking the sockets to body ground at the rear, and see if they illuminate the test lamp.
Automotive wiring is not complex, and especially with a wiring diagram to check various access points to see where the 12v. signal is lost.

Quick Reply: 1978 Z28 Turn Signal/Brake Light/Hazard Issue