1975 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1975 Camaro

Guys I have been searching relentlessly for a nice sports car from the 70s since last year. I bought a 78 for $2200 that many of you looked at back in september. Well my parents are gone and i have a decent inheritence. I really want a car that i can take care of and appreciate as well as keep driving my monte carlo around for work and school etc. I found this, i emailed him its about 100 miles to drive there. But what do you guys think? Is it worth what he wants? I plan on putting roughly $15,000 into a saving while 5k goes to this becuase I have 1500 already saved up. Let me know please

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2499537214.html

I believe many of the parts on my 78 could be used on this if i wanted correct? if ever needed that is.

Heres some more pictures of it http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... 2F&offer=y

Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum; your second link doesn't work.
From what I see there in the ad I'm not sure I'd pay $6500 for the car. At least around my neck of the woods it wont get that. Looks around $1500 too high for my area. And that would only be if it's 100% rust free.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ I don't know about what's in your area, but around here a 36 year old southern car with only 74k original miles is pretty darn rare. I'd look at it, and check it over and under to see if the car is as solid as it looks, and as it should be. Sure, you could find something cheaper, but you could easily offset those savings if the car needs body work and paint. From the looks of it, this one needs neither one. Still, hit him with a lower offer if it's what you want.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Overdrive Member

I live 35 min from Grant. There's a reason we say someone may have Grant teeth. Again in Michigan people believe that a rust free car means the can ask what they want.

I do think its over priced. It does look clean from the pics. Try and talk him down to at least 5g. They probably will take it.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Pictures by naburt - Photobucket this will let you look at the pics now.

Youll see the only tad bit of rust is in the trunk and its just surface rust. Otherwise the only bit of work this car needs is some window regulators which I already have, it could use some new seats, as well, and the air conditioner needs some work. This guys really knows his stuff, hes 59 and he even rebuilt the top half of the motor to make it safe. You can see by the pics how clean the car really is.

He already has dropped the price $1000, im doubtful the guy would drop it any further. I dont really want to let something this nice slip away because as the one guy mentioned rust free cars up here really are a gem, and i know that as well. Let me know what you think of the photos though guys please I am going to look at/purchase it tomarrow I think

Old 08-01-2011, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

what do you want to do to the car once you get it?

If you want to build the motor then i wouldn't really worry about a low mileage car because you'll end up tearing the motor apart anyway. If you want to get a new hood, spoilers, and a paint job then why pay more money for a clean car when you're just going to sand it and do body work.

I think those are some important issues you should think about before you spend 6500. You could potentially be spending a lot of money on things you are going to change.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear member

Overall,at least what i can see from the pics it does look to be a pretty clean car other than the rust in the trunk,which you already know about.I would still look it over very well,as pictures can be very deceiving.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I have 2 other 350 motors. One was already rebuilt and the other is technically what you call a 355 out of the 78 camaro. I paid 2200 for that pile. Its on this site somewhere but i cant even remember what my screen name was anymore.Anyways, ill take the fenders, windows, doors, you name it out of that car and just scrap it out I think.

I like the color on this car, i would have most likely gotten a black interior put into it anyway lol. In the future I might do some engine modifications perhaps but it would be at least 5 years away. In that time id be putting some miles onto this car anyhow. At the moment, you know im not really looking for a drag car or anything. Just a really nice sumer and fall cruiser that I can enjoy driving to the bowling alley on Friday nights, or maybe taking a girl out in or something. I have a 86 monte carlo which is a huge heap ive been driving for 5 years now that gets me to most places.

I should also mention, yeah it will need the dash pad replaced like most of these cars do. I have the classic industries magazine which is cool and the prices are not too over the top. Anyone else use that? I think i might try to get him to go down 2 or 3 hundred on it though and explain to him gas, insurance, title transfer, registration etc. Have to wait and see in the morning.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I think that's way too much. But you never know til you look. It says it may need window repair? Hopefully there wasn't a leak that let water in. But anyhow you got to see it in person.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

nah, just window regulators on both sides he said they were rubbing up on the windows and messing them up. That was the first thing i asked, i know the windshield alone is like a 500 fix. Its about mint shape which is surprizing considering its in my state of michigan, the ultimate rust hole for most cars

Quick Reply: 1975 Camaro