1973 Camaro value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Default 1973 Camaro value?

Hi everyone,

I am hoping that you can give me an idea on my Camaro value. I live in San Diego, CA.

I have had my '73 LT2 Camaro for 10 years. I purchased it from the original family (it was hers before he married her, he was a mechanic) and in anyone’s opinion have taken care if it very well. It was a daily driver for about 6 years and I had a number of things done to almost all at shops (have receipts) until my friend became a certified mechanic who helped me with the upkeep for the other 4 years or so. During the 4 years of rest it was really only driven on weekends. I have always felt, if you don’t drive it too much it will last longer. So I always start it weekly, sometimes bi-week. (yea i know it should be more) its been painted, has a nice paint job with and I recently took it to Maco to get rid of the lingering outside rust (the only sport really) and the side runners painted. Its light/sky blue with white stripes on the hood and trunk. Oh.. I just realized I have a pic on my PC so I will upload it.

All of that being said, I went through some of the higher priced receipts with mileage.

Currently the mileage on the car is 1125. It flipped over from 100,000 I think in 99 (when I finished tech-skool) so that shows how little I drove it after I could afford a Toyota.
When I got the car it had 66,000 on it, and I remember him saying it was at 166,000

Now I am not a mechanic, I just love old Camaros and got one, and kept it up. So Im just listing some things I noticed in the receipts.

Rebuilt transmission at 93232. So that makes the rebuilt transmission at 7893 miles old.

Remanufactured engine at 67460 so that puts the engine at 33665 miles.

Radiator and heating core 82163 so that’s about 19500 miles ago.

Mix in new tires upkeep with oil changes and it makes a nice core car. If I had 1000 to spend on it now, all I would want to do is little things. Weather-stripping, front seats (driver needs it bad) and not much else. I kept it in a garage or covered for the last 2 years but again the paint job is nice. Oh, the exhaust has some holes and the pipes need to be replaced. Its not too bad though, and the alignment is off because I just got the front bushings replaced (500 bucks)

I think that’s about it. Any info I can get would be appreciated. THANKS!

Sorry, no pic but if you need them to help me out, I can get it done.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 1973 Camaro value?

Are you looking to sell the car or are just interested in the supposed "value"? Those are usually two different numbers. In general, the "real" worth of a car is whatever someone will pay for it. Receipts don't matter. However, I have some that I value much higher than reality because of personal and sentimental reasons.

Use the "image" button and then place your photos in from some site like photobucket or something. I beleive there are some pretty savvy folks on this board and if they saw the car they could probably give you some ball-park-ish number of what it might fetch.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 1973 Camaro value?

I think a nice driveable '73 camaro could fetch about $4-5k. It doesn't seem that you have anything special that would cause it to go into the higher prices. If it was in very nice condition with nice paint, nice interior, and nice engine bay, you might pull $8-10k or if it was an all original z28 with documentation you could get 12-15k. But as it was stated earlier, what the car is worth and what someone else is willing to pay are 2 totally different things. If you have the time and resources, maybe you can find the person who is willing to pay the price. But, for the most part, poeple wind up settling for something less.