67 210 hp 327 cam question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Ha, yeah, it is the 462/327 story. Bummer as I was hoping to get some real numbers from it. I had a nice 365 hp 327 vette motor in a boat once. Only thing left is the crank. Dang.
Yeah, I was hoping to stay away from the aluminum heads thing. Trying to stay old school for a bit. Just trying to make some power to play around with it until my BB goes in.
There's got to be a good/nice way to squeeze a good 350/375 hp motor for now.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

To think ... it all started with just wanting to find a 275/295 stock intake & 4 bbl carb to put on my motor and see what I could get out of it. And as I started looking for the intake (and I missed out on 2) I found a nice aluminum intake, HEI distrib, headers, cam, gear drive, rocker rollers, heads, and NOW I just have to get it all together. I think I'm just now getting down to getting the gaskets and getting started. Maybe this next weekend. Right after Xmas.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Ha, pushed the wrong button and lost an entire note.

Well, what I said in short was that my motor has flat tops. I pulled the top end and now I'm going to just pull the motor out to do a quick re-ring (I hope I hope I hope) I'll have to look at the cam lobes. Heads were recent. Entire motor inside was clean. Makes me think the prior owner did something. After getting the top end off and out of the way, I'm thinking he may have just done a top end. Though, the first bank (after pulling the head) I could see the cross hone marks and they looked great. I got excited and then pulled the other head. It's clean, but I don't like some of the wear lines in a couple of cylinders. I can "see" the lines, but I can't "feel" them. So I'm hoping I can just hone the cylinders and do a ring job. Sound about right?

Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, another day another issue. So hey guys. What is the Rule of Thumb here on boring vs honing cylinders? I can "see" some wear marks but today after unbolting the torque converter from the flywheel - I realized that I was turning the motor over and looked at some "other" cylinders - so if I can just "barely" feel the marks can I still get away with a "hone" rather than a "bore" ?? Sadly I'm thinking I'm going to have to bore the motor .30 over which will make me change the cam and do everything this time.
Agree? Or disagree?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:05 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Needs to be measured with a mic to see for sure.
If it's not too out of round or worn too far you might get away with just rings.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Right on Y2K I will definitely measure everything once it's all a part.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, well, well. For anyone who's been following me on this thread .. I finally got the motor out, apart and cleaned up. This motor was in fact recently built. I found a forged crank, H rods and new pistons & cam in the block. I'm going to say it's a "good" set up, not a "great" set up. Several of the nuts & bolts were loose on this thing. The bearings are almost new. The cam, lifters, push rods & rocker arms are almost brand new.

So it looks like (now that it's a part) going to be a nice quick rebuild. I've measured the pistons & cylinders and they are both standard. So not bored out. I've got to take it in though on Saturday for a professional opinion.

I'm thinking the cylinder wear I was worried about was normal. All the rings were good and didn't appear to be an issue. All of the cylinders show about 70%-80% good cross hatch patterns - just some wear where the skirts come down.

So I'm very excited here. Only thing is the cam is whack. An aftermarket version of a stock cam? Give or take. I can't find all of the info on it yet, but it's got markings on it of CWC CMC (for the foundry) and then things like C5 D5 90 F4 and 1579 on it. Most of what I can find out is that it's just a stock-ish spec came made by someone else. I'll change that and just buy a new one with new lifters. I had a brain fart and turned the motor over on the engine stand and watched the lifters drop out 1 by 1. HA. So I screwed the pooch on that one. Oh well. I'm hoping to clean it up, check it out and have it back together in the next couple of weeks or as soon as I can get some parts together for it.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Ha,I'd want a new cam and lifters anyway.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeppers. I'll do the new build thing for sure now.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Anybody other than me ever run the Edelbrock Performer RPM package? I did a Performer RPM platform build on my '73 Camaro with a 358 (.040 over) and the RPM intake, cam, 750 carb kit - it ran extremely well back then. I've got that same package for my BBC build as well, but now I'm building this 327 up to run for a year before the swap. I'm thinking the power won't be nearly as much since the motor is smaller to begin with, but I like the 1500-6500 power range. Everything else I see out there is like 2500-5800 or 3500-8000 with is anything but good on the street.

What combo are you guys running and are you happy with it?

Quick Reply: 67 210 hp 327 cam question