Clutch pedal getting stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 PM
Default Clutch pedal getting stuck

Need some direction here. I just bought my 1969 camaro and my buddy drive it down from Dallas to Austin. We drove it all day Saturday and was a great smooth drive. I noticed the brake booster would move up and down when pushing the clutch in and out. I tightened up a lose screw to the firewall and the brake booster was /is still missing one bolt and screw.
After I tightened it is when the clutch started rubbing more and getting stuck at top of release. The clutch began getting stuck at the top of the release now. Can someone tell me what might be causing it or how to fix it?

Old 02-03-2016, 10:41 AM
4th Gear Member

One, the fourth bolt needs to be installed on booster-to-firewall.
Adjust clutch play for approximately 1/2 inch free play at the pedal.
If no more adjustment left on linkage, new clutch system needed.
Next, need to see if firewall is flexing when pushing in on pedals.
Also while pressing pedals, visually check under for loose brackets and/or broken welds.
Sometimes a 1/8 inch thick steel plate is welded to firewall for distributing the load.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Only thing I can think of getting the clutch pedal stuck (based on what you worked on) is if the rod is wedging against the hole in the firewall. Something could be goofy with the mounting position of the pedal assembly, or the location of the rod to the clutch pedal arm.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
One, the fourth bolt needs to be installed on booster-to-firewall.
Adjust clutch play for approximately 1/2 inch free play at the pedal.
If no more adjustment left on linkage, new clutch system needed.
Next, need to see if firewall is flexing when pushing in on pedals.
Also while pressing pedals, visually check under for loose brackets and/or broken welds.
Sometimes a 1/8 inch thick steel plate is welded to firewall for distributing the load.

Thanks for the response Everett! It seems the bottom left bolt for the booster was left off and the bottom right was lose on purpose.
Once I tightened the bottom right bolt the clutch would get stuck at top release and would have to pull up with my foot. So will add the fourth bolt and work with the clutch link.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Only thing I can think of getting the clutch pedal stuck (based on what you worked on) is if the rod is wedging against the hole in the firewall. Something could be goofy with the mounting position of the pedal assembly, or the location of the rod to the clutch pedal arm.
When you push the clutch in it rubs against the brake booster and moves it about a half inch to inch at top release of the clutch.
When I tighten the bottom bolt it would get stuck completely at top release and have to pop it up with my foot.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:04 AM
4th Gear Member

By OE design, there is a spring hooked to the throwout fork with an extension from spring to hole in frame mount on subframe.

Aftermarket places sell these and you should able to see the holes in both the fork and mount.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch pedal getting stuck-clutch.jpg  
Old 02-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jayman1969
When you push the clutch in it rubs against the brake booster
I take it the "it" you're reefering to is the pedal rod, it shouldn't be that close. Perhaps you have an oversize booster, or the wrong (too tall) bellcrank, or the wrong pedal rod, or the rod is installed upside down (it purposely has a dog-leg shape to it). Something isn't set up right. Can you post some pictures from the engine compartment side and showing the upper pedal assembly connection, that may help us.