Clutch adjustment

Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Clutch adjustment

I have an M-21 mated to an 11 inch BH. I have adjusted the lower adjustment rod all the way out against the clutch fork but when I press the clutch pedal down it will not disengage the pressure plate enough for me to get the car into gear while running. Can hear the gears whining when I try. Car is a new build, any suggestions on what to try next?
1st gen if that matters.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 AM

What kind of bellhousing what kind of bellhousing pivot ball are u using a blocker plate?
The ball has to be at least 4.75 inchs from face of the bellhousing that bolts to the motor

Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There are two different length throwout bearings you could use, depending on which style pressure plate you use. If you use the short one where you should have used the long, the clutch won't disengage. And if you used the long one instead of the short, the clutch will slip on it's own. Uhhhhh....don't ask on that one!! Generally, the short throwout bearing is used on the three finger pressure plate, and the long is used on a diaphragm plate.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Short is for diaphragm and long is for three finger

Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by awake1630
Short is for diaphragm and long is for three finger
Nope. I already made that mistake once, many years ago.
Chevy Clutch Release Throwout Bearing, Short, 1955-1972 - Eckler's Late Great Chevy Parts
Chevy Clutch Release Throwout Bearing, Long, ACDelco, 1955-1972 - Eckler's Late Great Chevy Parts

Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear member

The throw out bearing came with the pressure plate in a kit from Fort Wayne Clutch. I dont know which one it is but it is a diaphram plate. Could I have the wrong clutch fork? You guys seem to be disagreeing on which bearing for which plate and I have no idea.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 PM

every diaphram i have gotten had the short bearing with it and every three finger had the long packed with it.

so im not sure them

Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Just got the tranny slid back and removed the bearing, definitly short, 1 1/4 inches and definitly a diaphram plate. I will call Fort Wayne Clutch tomorrow and see what is up. Will let you know what they said.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by dynarider33
The throw out bearing came with the pressure plate in a kit from Fort Wayne Clutch. I dont know which one it is but it is a diaphram plate. Could I have the wrong clutch fork? You guys seem to be disagreeing on which bearing for which plate and I have no idea.
Take a look at the two different throwout bearings in the links above. Then take a peek through the opening in the bellhousing where the fork passes through and see if you have the right one. Just because you bought a set doesn't mean somebody didn't screw up. If the bearing is right, then you'll want to get an adjustable clutch fork pivot ball so you can move it closer to the pressure plate.
Years ago, I did a 4-speed conversion and received what I thought was the "right" throwout bearing. What I got was a 3 finger Borg & Beck plate with a long bearing. After one day of driving, the clutch started to slip and finally wouldn't stay engaged to where I barely made it home. The throwout bearing was sandwiched between the trans and pressure plate, and had nowhere to go. Of course, I found out too late that the 3 finger plate wanted the short bearing, and what I got was the one for a diaphragm. I'm not arguing the fact, I'm passing along past experience, with part numbers ^ to back it up.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 PM

whats the number on the clutch fork? again what bellhousing do you have?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch adjustment