Stock 68 camaro/Newbie/Tons of questions.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:38 AM
Default Stock 68 camaro/Newbie/Tons of questions.

Hello everyone,
I am pretty new to the Camaro scene as far as owner wise but have always loved them, so if could imagine my excitement when I was given the opportunity to purchase one. Caught up in passion I didn't really check the car out, I just took him upon his word...which all was not correct. That was several years ago. I tinkered with it a few and never got anywhere, seemed like my knowledge and skill were no match for the car and I ended up burning myself out on her. Many days/nights of cussing and knuckle busting. I just recently reignited the passion and she has been slowly coming back together. After admitting defeat I sent her to the shop to get some regular TLC and get her back on the road. Sorry for the long back story but just to kind of fill you in on my knowledge of car if you ask questions. Which I dubbed her Christine, but after going through her I'm thinking it should be Frankenstein, for the fact that shes been just thrown together just to sell part wise/now 95% of the car is original, just mainly the motor and transmission are not ... With all that being said... I was changing the pitman arm yesterday and I noticed when I was jacking it up the passenger side tire is tilting in slightly, I'm guessing the upper control arm bushing are bad? But with that being said if I replace the bushings wouldn't it just be better to replace upper and lower control arms (both sides) while I'm at it? I mean since I'm already digging into the front end. And if so, what brand would you prefer.

Thank you. Sorry for the 10 page essay.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Why replace the control arms? Aftermarket control arms, by themselves, wont make any noticeable improvement over stock. Take out the originals, clean them up, press the old bushings out and the new bushings in, paint them, and reinstall them. Use your money for something else.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear member

have you checked the ball joints?
raise the car just enough to get the tires off the ground. get someone to place a long bar under the tire and wiggle it up and down while you watch for movement

Old 10-30-2016, 04:25 PM

In my mind I thought it would make the ride a little better. But if I did change the upper and lowers i wouldn't of stopped there, would of changed the shocks, coils, tie rods etc but your right now that i think about it, that's a lot of duckies just to fix a bushing. It just looked like a major pain to do them, might just have to take it back to the shop for that. I don't know anyone with a press...

As for the ball joints, they are prolly in need of replacing too now that you mention it. I can move the tire ever so slightly back and forth and feel a little bit of play. Driver side is a lot worse but it isn't sagging or tilting. That side will prolly be next..

Thank you both.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:39 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmel3o51
I can move the tire ever so slightly back and forth and feel a little bit of play. Driver side is a lot worse but it isn't sagging or tilting. That side will prolly be next.. Thank you both.
Ensure wheel bearing is snug when doing this as you may feel the bearing loosenenss.

Upper ball joint can be checked the way you described.
Lower ball needs the weight taken off by jacking up the at the lower control arm and using a long lever under tire and prying. As you lift, place finger between spindle and control arm feeling the clearance as you pry the tire.

Control arm bushings are easy in removing.
Drill out the rubber so the middle falls out and then with chisel and hammer, shrink the outer shell and walla - bushing gone.
Installing bushing ensure you have a stout length of steel angle fitting between the arm joint holes preventing them from collapsing.
Machine shop might have these items for usage.