my 69 camaro project

Old 09-04-2007, 01:20 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club
Default my 69 camaro project

So the project has finally begun. Looks like the PO used this car as a parts car and put a bunch of junk in it to keep her running. It's got a 305 with a 350 turbo transmission. Gonna ditch the 305 and rebuild the transmission. My neighbor has most of a 350 bored .030 over so I am gonna build the engine myself. Not a bad project for a beginner like me.......lol. So after a week this is where I am at.
the old engine
Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  42.4 KB
Name:  week1.2.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  29.6 KB
Name:  week1.4.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  31.0 KB
Name:  week1.8.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  27.0 KB

Now what's left
Name:  week1.9.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  27.8 KB
Name:  week1.10.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  30.4 KB
Name:  monday2.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 09-04-2007, 05:31 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: my 69 camaro project

Wow. You've done more than me in one week than I've done in like 6 months. Looks good, keep the photos comming.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM
June 2007 ROTM

note to self. DO NOT WORK ON A CAR IN SANDLES. tend to be a self correcting moment.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

I was very determined to get as much done as I possibly could. Taking it apart was easy but alot of hard work. After 3 days I sure can feel it in these old bones. Only a few more things to take apart and give her a power wash....then we talk soda blasting and paint.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Be extremely careful with the soda blasting.. there are many better options out there..
If you go soda you will have to make sure it is neutralized properly or you will have adhesion issues..
better to go sand.. or glass. or even walnuts.. Talk to the blasters but stay AWAY from soda...
If you have any questions on this send me a pm.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Good for you! Keep the enthusiastic mindset going.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:22 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: AutoRodTechnologies

Be extremely careful with the soda blasting.. there are many better options out there..
If you go soda you will have to make sure it is neutralized properly or you will have adhesion issues..
better to go sand.. or glass. or even walnuts.. Talk to the blasters but stay AWAY from soda...
If you have any questions on this send me a pm.
Really. Hadn't heard that about soda blasting and a friend recommended it.

So guys is this true about soda blasting and which method would any of you use?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:19 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I have heard that soda gets stuck in crevises and if not completely cleaned out all the way will cause rust issues as it traps moisture.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

If you just want to remove the old paint so you've got bare metal to work with, then go with Walnut shells. A media blasting shop can do that easy. If you want to eliminate rust, well then that requires a lot of cutting out and welding in new sheetmetal. Or you could spend about $1500 to have the whole car chemical dipped. Make sure the shop pressures washes it after and dries it for you.
I would have done it, but that's way out of my budget.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Whoo hooo!!! I just found me a guy to do the body and paint on my car. This guy kind of fell into my lap....hahah I know what you're thinking but no.............He came out to the house tonight to check out the car and gave me alot of good info on what we need to keep and or toss. And he just so happens to have an open slot at his shop to start a new project. Price for body work and paint are very reasonable and seems on the up and up. Going to check out his shop this weekend and he's going to check availability with the sand blast guy he recommends. So hopefully within the next 2 weeks the car will be on it's way.
and I do feel much better knowing it is in the hands of a prof as far as the body and paint go. With mine and Squid's schedule and lives I really don't want to take that on. Engine, interior, and workings of the car yes but body no.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my 69 camaro project