69 restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Wink

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
OMG. A Leafs fan? I thought I was the only one! Haha. And ironically, I'm wearing my Leafs T-shirt right. Weird.

Car's looking nice. Can't blame you for sticking with the I6 with gas prices being what they are. Maybe when and if they go down, you should think maybe of putting a 572 BB in there.
Well a 572 would be really nice but I think the car would sit more than it would be driven. I always wanted a 396 for this car. I'm not in any hurry so if I find one I can afford maybe it will happen. I'm positive the car will get at least a 350 sometime done the road.

As for the Leafs, I hate them. We need another team here to cheer for. Right now, I'm mourning the loss of my Red Wings and my son is hoping the Pens will make it back. But as the Leaf fans always say to me, there's always next year. LOL

K

Old 04-21-2012, 11:41 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Odin
Well a 572 would be really nice but I think the car would sit more than it would be driven. I always wanted a 396 for this car. I'm not in any hurry so if I find one I can afford maybe it will happen. I'm positive the car will get at least a 350 sometime done the road.

As for the Leafs, I hate them. We need another team here to cheer for. Right now, I'm mourning the loss of my Red Wings and my son is hoping the Pens will make it back. But as the Leaf fans always say to me, there's always next year. LOL

K
I'd have it out in everything but snow. You could always get a inexpensive 350 and later turn it into a 396..unless you wanted the big block.

Leafs just need to play as a team all the time, then they'd be good. Red Wings? Yuck. Pens? My favorites.

Also noticed you still have drum brakes in the front. Are you planning on switching to disc? Or keeping the drums. If you stuck with drums, that'd be the first 1st Gen Camaro I've seen with drum brakes in a long time.

Last edited by MKCoconuts; 04-21-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd have it out in everything but snow. You could always get a inexpensive 350 and later turn it into a 396..unless you wanted the big block.

Leafs just need to play as a team all the time, then they'd be good. Red Wings? Yuck. Pens? My favorites.

Also noticed you still have drum brakes in the front. Are you planning on switching to disc? Or keeping the drums. If you stuck with drums, that'd be the first 1st Gen Camaro I've seen with drum brakes in a long time.
My plan is to have the breaks and steering upgraded. I know I need disk breaks. It would be the only car on the road that can't stop on a dime. Everything in due time. When I upgrade the breaks I'll also have to change the rim and tire size. Ka-Ching!!! I still have to deal with the interior too. As well as a lot of small things like the heater panel, windshield, antenna, re-chroming the bumpers and all the little chrome pieces. I just wanted to tackle the big job for now.

At least I still have my bike until the car is ready to drive.

K

Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Drum brakes aren't that bad if you plan on just using it for daily driving. Did that come with a brake booster or not? I've driven the '66 Satellite my dad and I restored in the rain once. Drums all the way around and no brake booster and I did fine. But since you're plans include a 350 (or bigger) at some point, might as well upgrade the fronts to disc.

You're like me. You just want to get it running and moving under it's own power and then you'll work on the minute details.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear member

Wait a second, I thought I was PA's only Leaf Fan?????

Question for you, and maybe I just can't see this, but did you trim out the car with the body color before you put the fenders, doors and trunk lid back on?

If I were you, I'd leave the rear spoiler off and paint that seperately. This way you won't see primer under the spoiler.

Car is really looking good.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bruce69camaro
Wait a second, I thought I was PA's only Leaf Fan?????

Question for you, and maybe I just can't see this, but did you trim out the car with the body color before you put the fenders, doors and trunk lid back on?

If I were you, I'd leave the rear spoiler off and paint that seperately. This way you won't see primer under the spoiler.

Car is really looking good.
I'm glad your liking her. I'm eager to get it back home now.

The car was prepped before the primer was applied. The door jams were painted first before the spoiler, fenders, trunk lid and hinges. Also the inside of the car was treated with a sealer, and then epoxy primed. The inside was also painted black to match the new interior colour. Whenever that happens.

Attached Thumbnails 69 restoration-p3270430.jpg   69 restoration-p3280441.jpg   69 restoration-p3280442.jpg   69 restoration-p3270428.jpg  

Last edited by Odin; 04-24-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a couple more photos that might show the work better than I could explain it. Paint should be coming soon. YES!!!

K

Attached Thumbnails 69 restoration-photo.jpg   69 restoration-photo-29.jpg   69 restoration-photo-19.jpg   69 restoration-photo-18.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 AM
4th Gear Member

Looking nice! Decide on a color yet?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Looking nice! Decide on a color yet?
I'm going to keep it the original colour which was Cortez Silver and I'm going to add the hockey stripes down the side. I don't see any with that stripe. Everyone wants to have the hood stripes to look like a Z or SS. I just want it to be different from all the other cars I see at the shows. This is my fun car.

I think I'm going to try Ground Up for my interior stuff. What do you think of them?

K

Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 AM
2nd Gear member

You do know, seeing that you blacked out the tail light panel, you now are saying that you got a big block car, so while your at things, you might as well yank the 6 banger out and drop one in ....LOL

Car looks good. Bet you can't wait for it to be all in one color?

Mine was originally Cortez silver and makes me wish I would have painted mine that color.

Here's a picture of your color combo and it looks good.

Quick Reply: 69 restoration