Headliner Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Default Headliner Help

OK. So my headliner on my 68 coupe basically just fell out, so after 45 years, I guess it's time for a new one.

First problem - The new headliner was shipped all folded up (not rolled) in a box. How do I get all the wrinkles out?

Second Question - Does anyone have any hints on how to install a new headliner? Its the bow type. It seems pretty straightforward, but I'm sure there are a few tricks.

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

To get the wrinkles out; lay it flat on a hard surface in the sun for a few hours.

Sorry I can't help with any tricks, although I've heard that installation is much easier with the windshield and back window removed.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:30 AM

Unfortunately this time of year, it's not very hot outside.

Has anyone put one in their dryer? Would that work?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 AM
4th Gear Member

No dryer, needs to be flat. Installation later.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, you can use the clothes dryer, but not just tossed in! I put mine in a large cloth bag (after unfolding it) and tossed the bag in the dryer for about 10 minutes. After it came out I laid it out on the living room floor and all the wrinkles came out.
When installing the headliner be sure your bows are not only clean, but also smooth. This will allow the material to slide on the bows, as the rusty bows will catch the cloth. Mine looked ugly enough that I went to Home Depot and found rod stock the same size and replaced them with clean, smooth, new rods.
Slide the material on the rods and start in the center hanging the headliner. Be sure to stretch the material taught towards the sides as you clip the bows in place. You might have to release and rehook them to get it smoothed out. Once you have the bows hung, then clip the front edge with some of those large metal paper clips. I got a box of them and clipped the headliner every 5"-6" starting at the center and pulling towards the edges. You can look at any ripples and adjust to get it smooth.
After getting the front clipped and smoothed out, I glued the sides to the metal structure with contact cement, and used more clips to hold the edge while it set up. Then I moved back to the front and started removing the center clips and gluing the headliner to the metal up front. I replaced each clip after gluing to hold the headliner. You don't have to get every inch glued, just as much as possible, and keep working towards each side as you glue.
Once the sides and front were done, I moved to the back and did the same. My '71 had a rubber window edge to tuck the headliner into, so I cut the headliner edge to close length, and then after gluing in the center I tucked it in with a putty knife. Had a couple places that were slightly long when folded over to tuck, but the excess was easily tucked in and hid.
As you can see in this picture, you'll still have some ripples as you're hanging it, but once I pulled the sides and glued them they all disappeared. Steaming the headliner will get the last of the ripples, (if you have any) but that's done by a shop, so you'd have to find an upholsterer that was friendly, and didn't mind helping you finish it up.
Name:  HL1.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  59.4 KB

Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM

I like the idea with the paper clips. Good thought - I'll put it in place with the clips before I do any cementing. I cleaned my rods pretty good with steel wool, so they should be in pretty good shape.

Did you put the dryer on low or medium heat? It seems high would be too hot. I'll probably experiment with some scrap liner they sent me.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Utah68
I like the idea with the paper clips. Good thought - I'll put it in place with the clips before I do any cementing. I cleaned my rods pretty good with steel wool, so they should be in pretty good shape.

Did you put the dryer on low or medium heat? It seems high would be too hot. I'll probably experiment with some scrap liner they sent me.
Yes, I did all the installing with clips before I started removing one clip at a time and gluing the headliner. If you start with a cold dryer, it wont matter much. I'd start with medium heat, and check it after 5 minutes. I didn't just toss mine in and walk away. You can open the dryer and feel if it's getting warm or not.