tmhill79

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:15 PM
Default tmhill79

My '67 SS 350 has idiot lights. Coolant temp. & oil pressure lights not working. Found the wires in eng. compartment but no sensors/sending units. Bought a temp. sensor but all ports on engine are used except the one on top of water pump. Can I move heater hose from intake manifold & put it into the water pump then put temp sending unit in intake manifold port? As for the oil pressure sensor, the place behind the distributor appears to have the pcv valve in it & I don't see any place down by the oil filter to put it. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If the fitting on the water pump isn't being used, then what is on the other end of the intake manifold hose? Or do you have an extra fitting straight up on the pump, in addition to the one going to the heater core? If so, you have a big block (bypass style) water pump. Then, the answer to your first question is no that won't work if you're looking to retain flow through the heater core. But you can put the sensor in the intake manifold, that's where I have mine. What about the stock location, drivers side head, isn't there a fitting/sensor/plug there? Although that's the "factory" location, my opinion is that spot doesn't give you true coolant temperature, since where it's located between the exhaust manifolds/headers, is the hottest possible place you could think of sticking a sensor. Fine for reading head temperature, but not really for overall coolant temperature.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For the oil pressure gauge, the back of your block should look like this... draft tube and oil pressure fitting.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 AM

Hope I can explain things better. One hose to fitting on right side of water pump goes to firewall. Hose to fitting on front of intake goes to firewall. The way I see it these are heater hoses. Both hoses are the same size. The fitting more on the left side of the intake right next to thermostat water neck has a sensor in it & the lead from that sensor goes thru the right side of firewall. I assume for the heater. The fitting right on top of the water pump is plugged. Don't know if it makes any difference but, this car has air conditioning. No place on either head to put sensor. Thanks to your picture I found where oil pressure sensor goes.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Before anybody calls me out for the "draft tube" reference, I thought I'd clear that up. What you have is actually a fitting for a pcv connection, older engines had a (draft) tube connected there that hung down which vented crankcase air out through air movement of the car.
Your hoses to the firewall connect to the heater core. You can't move the hose from the intake and connect to the top fitting on the water pump, that's a bypass outlet (small blocks don't use that), flowing out not in. If you don't have any other sensors in the block, that one in the intake manifold must be connected to the idiot light. Are you looking to fix and keep the lights, or adding gauges?

Old 02-16-2016, 01:01 PM

Keep the lights. I'll see if I can get under the dash & see where the lead from that sensor goes. If I can figure out how to attach a couple photos of exactly what I'm talking about, I will.

I just went out & found that the wire from the sensor by the thermostat water neck, that went thru the firewall wasn't connected to anything, just hanging lose under the dash. I removed the sensor & wire, put a new sensor in & I expect things will work fine now.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Last edited by tmhill79; 02-16-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:04 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
What about the stock location, drivers side head, isn't there a fitting/sensor/plug there?
Should be a temperature switch for the TEMP light in this OE location with a green wire.