What engine do I want??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Default What engine do I want??

This is just pie in the sky at the moment but if any of you care to contribute your opinions to help shape my thoughts I would appreciate it.
I am thinking of a 67 coupe built to be as light and efficient as possible, thinking 2500lbs as a goal. I am not thinking of a drag strip terror or an Ultimate Street Car warrior nor am I thinking of a modernized muscle car with every possible modern convenience. I'd like to take advantage of what the current aftermarket has to offer without making the car look too different from what Chev released in 67, wheels no bigger than 16 and no monster meats requiring tubs for example.

So for this conversation lets say I don't care who makes the engine or what configuration it is. Lets say 325HP and 375ftlbs give or take 25 each but the most important thing is it needs to be very light!!! I was thinking of the Cadillac NorthStar V8 as it looks cool and is all aluminum but I think they are close to 500lbs fully dressed and the DOHC configuration doesn't really add up to the torquer I think need.

Finally this is all in my brain at the moment and it costs nothing to dream so the stacks of cash/never get your money back type comments aren't needed.
Thanks, Jay

Old 03-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 64lusso
This is just pie in the sky at the moment but if any of you care to contribute your opinions to help shape my thoughts I would appreciate it.
I am thinking of a 67 coupe built to be as light and efficient as possible, thinking 2500lbs as a goal. I am not thinking of a drag strip terror or an Ultimate Street Car warrior nor am I thinking of a modernized muscle car with every possible modern convenience. I'd like to take advantage of what the current aftermarket has to offer without making the car look too different from what Chev released in 67, wheels no bigger than 16 and no monster meats requiring tubs for example.

So for this conversation lets say I don't care who makes the engine or what configuration it is. Lets say 325HP and 375ftlbs give or take 25 each but the most important thing is it needs to be very light!!! I was thinking of the Cadillac NorthStar V8 as it looks cool and is all aluminum but I think they are close to 500lbs fully dressed and the DOHC configuration doesn't really add up to the torquer I think need.

Finally this is all in my brain at the moment and it costs nothing to dream so the stacks of cash/never get your money back type comments aren't needed.
Thanks, Jay
NorthSar where popular in the hot rod world for about 3 weeks. They are plaque issues and not supported well in the aftermarket. You could get a all aluminum LSx 6.0 from a 2008+ Truck and be past your goals bone stock. The LS motors have a huge aftermarket support. Due to there weight people are putting them in BMW's, Porsche's just about everything. The 6.0 can easily hit 500 HP with Cam and head upgrades.

If you have the budget for it the 2007 up 6.2 Out of a GM SUV or high end truck. 403 HP /415 ftlbs stock, all for around 390 pound. Ready to run for 250,000 dependable miles. The LS3 is the standard of the pro touring world. Factory Supercharged LS3 are rated 550 HP and 580 ftlbs conservatively. At this point if you have the money 700 HP is a phone call away.

Note All aluminum LS motors have similar weight. The 97-04 LS1 stock is about 345hp and may be your best cost to HP /weight ratio. But I don't think a stock LS1 is going to be a terror anywhere as it is now 20 year old tech. Even LS1/Miata swaps are common. About every third 1st gen Camaro at the track has a 500+ hp LS motor in it. Most are the cheaper Cast iron blocks. The cast iron block with all aluminum head and intake are only 48 lbs more in weight. Heck even the guys that are afraid of fuel injection are getting LS motors and using spark controllers and carbs on them.

Think of a body style, any body style and search google that name and LS swap. I will bet you will find a swap already done. With common swaps you can even buy all the parts needed, no fab skillz required.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-04-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Oh the LS1 would for sure be a great engine for your car.
I have an '01 SS with the LS1 and six speed, very quick car right out of the box ,lots more power to be had with bolt ons and the sky is the limit for building these engines.
Mine is rated 325hp from GM but they under rated these engines by a good margin from what I've read. A real good driver can break into the 12's in the quarter mile with a stock engine and gearing.
Mid to upper 20's for gas mileage too so it's a win win.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The 67 has a curb weight of 3,070 lbs, more if it has more options/add-ons. Remove the engine, and you should be right at your goal of 2,500!
You're going to need to do a lot of stripping/lightening to compensate for the engine's weight.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:31 PM

Thanks guys, I knew the LS engines were light but didn't know they were under 400lbs ready to go. I guess I need to spend some time getting up to speed on them.
Camaro 69 says I am already at my goal if I remove the motor---cool now all I have to do is solve for how to remove the weight I add back with the motor! #1 it may not be achievable at all, #2 I may decide I don't want to spend the dollars it would take to get there? Regardless I believe you have to have the big pieces in place (or at least on paper) before you can start to think through the rest of the puzzle. Overall I am thinking if I don't go for big power and big rubber then that allows me to make decisions for all the other pieces needed that are lighter.
Keep the thoughts coming and if anyone knows of a one stop shop to get me up to speed on the LS varieties with weights and dimensions I'd appreciate it.
Jay

PS I was thinking it would be easy to find a chart with all the different LS engine specs, finding lots or articles so far but nothing concise that would include, power, torque, weights and dimensions but from what I have seen so far the L76 is all aluminum and has 375 Ftlbs so that might be what I am looking for?

Last edited by 64lusso; 03-05-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add info