Value of this 67 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Default Value of this 67 RS?

Hi guys. My first post. I just retired and have been out of the camaro world for many years. I have owned one 67 and two 68's in my distant past. (Back when I paid less than 5 grand for each of them).
I have got the camaro bug again and have found one for sale that would scratch my camaro itch. I need help from you guys before I bite the bullet.
This camaro RS is a totally original unmolested car that has less than 50,000 miles on it. Always garaged and totally rust free because is has spent most of it's life in California. The car is loaded with all the options with deluxe interior, factory guage package, 327-powerglide. Has the protect-o-plate, original wheels and hubcaps.
Because of my absence for so many years, I need help determining if the price is reasonable. From the research I did on Hemmings and NADA, it seems ok. I understand it is only worth what I want to pay.
$24,000 is his bottom. There is nothing this car will need done to it.
I will appreciate your input!!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

do you have any pictures of the car? is the the 327 a 210 or 275hp motor? easy question is 2 bbl or 4bbl carb? Also what options are on there when you say loaded? like ps, pb, fold down rear seat, console w/ gauges, power windows, ac, rear window defogger, etc. of course the more options the more value there is esp if it has some rare ones. but I would be safe to say that a rust free original running and driving Camaro especially a rs car is worth the 24k. I would just go over the car with a fine tooth comb for rust.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 AM
4th Gear Member

I believe the most important decision is - "Does this Camaro scratch your itch?"
Looks are everything. By the description and having the POP, good price, I would say it should do the job very well.

Probably is a 210 HP V8, has A/C - is it still R12 or converted to R134A? R12 is still available.
Originality of the Camaro is the key, aka, engine trans, rear axle, and it reads like it should have those items.
We don't live forever, buy now and enjoy the journey with her.
JMT's.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:18 AM

Still R12 and is 275hp. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM
4th Gear Member

275 will be a Q-jet 4MV.
Nice find!
Being R12, adds alittle to value.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did you check for numbers matching and did you decode the cowl tag? The only way it is a 24k car is if it is a all original car. If it is not it is a 15K car.

To put it in perspective my 67 RS/SS is a mostly orginal car. It had the motor replaced It is not worth 24K

Are you sure that is what you want. You do ANYTHING to that car and it will drop value very fast. A car like that you don't really own you are more its keeper. Your call.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:39 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

depends on your area for the cost for a first gen Camaro. around my neck of the woods around Portland Oregon, 14k will get a running (not numbers matching) project like it will be in primer or still need to be stripped, interior work, and eventually everything. 10k is a rust free roller that is completely blown apart. anything under 10 is a rusty body and some random motor (if any motor and tranny). some craigslist examples in my area

clean 69 ss (clone?) not numbers matching $29,500
1969 Camaro RS/SS

67 rs clean car date coded 67 327 (not #s matching) $25,900
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS

68 rs basket case $1500
(1) 1968 RS CAMARO

68 with added 454 and 5spd still needs complete interior and probably paint and body $15,000
1968 chevy camaro RS

Old 12-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What people ask and what they get are two different things. You want to look into your area then check out ebay but do the advanced search and only view completed auctions (you need an account to see it). Be sure to note what did sell and what did not sell. The ones that did not sell are most likely priced above current market. 15K buys a pretty nice car around me.

1967 Camaro 350 4SPD Very 28000 Invester | eBay

RS package does not bring as much as the SS does. This is a nice 327 RS that reached a little over 16K in bids but did not sell.

Chevrolet Camaro 67 Camaro Coupe Rally Sport RS Restored Driver 327 | eBay

The numbers matching is critical to value. I have seen cars with the original owners that thought the car where 100% original only to find out the motor was replaced. In one case I believe the motor was replaced under warranty in 67 but that is no longer a numbers matching car. So even if the owner is 100% sure it is numbers matching and you trust him 100% he could just be wrong. It happens all the time. I have been around Camaros for over 30 year and I have had a lot of people ask me to check out their “all original” cars only to quickly find out it is not. In fact, if we are not talking about show cars, I would guess that less than 25% of the “Completely original” cars I have been shown pass a quick 15 minute inspection. My favorite is the all original big block Z28. Ya it was special ordered that way.

Realisticly for a 24K RS I would want to see a show score card. I would want to see how it faired and what it numbers where. If the car is truly all original show cars is where the money is. It would be worth it to enter a show just for the proof. If we are talking an upper 90's out of of 100 car his price is market or slightly under.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Click for expired ad. bottom of the page

Original California car
P-steering
P-brakes-disc brakes in front
10 bolt 3.08
factory gauge package
new rubber around doors and trunk
new felt around windows
tilt steering-no
fold down back seat-no
deluxe interior
dual exhaust
vinyl top in great shape.
has original air filter canister
headlight hideaway windows work great
factory r-12 a/c system--does not blow cold and he never had it checked in 3 years he has owned it
slight gas leak either from tank or gas filler tube to tank
original quad. carb comes with car but currently has Holley carb
slight tear on the side of headliner
repaint in 1980

Chevrolet Camaro Rally Sport | eBay

Old 12-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

LMFAO. "unrestored survivor car". Oops, but it had been completely repainted before, so that blows survivor status right there. Nobody even bid the starting $19,999, so that should tell you something.