Suggestions for 1967 Camaro Drivetrain Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Default Suggestions for 1967 Camaro Drivetrain Upgrade

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1967 Camaro Base with a 302 and Powerglide, very solid body. I have never worked on an American car, mostly German and Italian. I have spent a week coming up to speed with the small block/big block lingo.

The engine in my car seems tired (it even has still has the original smog pump). So I want to upgrade the drivetrain/exhaust. I want to make the most horsepower for a reasonable buck. At this price I am not interested in rebuilding my 302, so my research suggests that a 383 stroker and TH350 transmission would be a good combo.

Here is what I found to be the best price on that combo :
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp3834ctc1
for $4400
JEGS Performance Products 60300, JEGS Performance Transmissions | JEGS Performance Products
for $800

Is there a cheaper combo/vendor that achieves the same or more horsepower?

Thanks!
Chris

Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I can tell you I am happy with the BluePrint Engines GM from summit. It fired up on the first try and was easy to break in. The tech help from summit was good and informative and the guy seemed knowledgeable. I bought mine back in late fall or the first of January. I have almost a 150 miles on it now so I am no expert on long term life expectancy of the motor but it did come with a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty. I can tell you that I have about 30 years automotive experience turning wrenches and doing motor and trans swaps. I don't know it all and can learn a thing or two yet from the experienced guys out there. I had to laugh you "spent a whole week getting up to speed on American cars".. Don't take it as a insult your going to learn I am just poking fun at you.. Seriously though I am happy with the crate motor from summit. I would look locally at transmissions and remember the torque your putting to the transmission is a big deal. Chevrolet called the TH 350 because it was rated for 350 foot pounds of torque and the TH 400 was rated for 400 foot pounds of torque. That's a general guide line but if your going to put down big horsepower look to back it up with a good transmission. If you buy both from summit they can help you make sure you make the right choice... Now lets talk rear end.. lol....

Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by cwingert
Hi,
I recently purchased a 1967 Camaro Base with a 302 and Powerglide, very solid body...
The engine in my car seems tired (it even has still has the original smog pump)...
Where are you at? I'll come help take that old worthless clunker of a 302 off your hands!
Are you sure that's what you have? The 302 was not a "base" engine, it only came in the Z/28, and not with an automatic trans.
If the engine is numbers matching, you have a Z/28 that someone put an automatic into.
If not #'s matching, nor any signs of having had a manual trans, 12 bolt rear, etc, then it's not likely one.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the recommendation and the info on the 350/400 tranmission, I did not know that!

Originally Posted by Icecobra
I can tell you I am happy with the BluePrint Engines GM from summit. It fired up on the first try and was easy to break in. The tech help from summit was good and informative and the guy seemed knowledgeable. I bought mine back in late fall or the first of January. I have almost a 150 miles on it now so I am no expert on long term life expectancy of the motor but it did come with a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty. I can tell you that I have about 30 years automotive experience turning wrenches and doing motor and trans swaps. I don't know it all and can learn a thing or two yet from the experienced guys out there. I had to laugh you "spent a whole week getting up to speed on American cars".. Don't take it as a insult your going to learn I am just poking fun at you.. Seriously though I am happy with the crate motor from summit. I would look locally at transmissions and remember the torque your putting to the transmission is a big deal. Chevrolet called the TH 350 because it was rated for 350 foot pounds of torque and the TH 400 was rated for 400 foot pounds of torque. That's a general guide line but if your going to put down big horsepower look to back it up with a good transmission. If you buy both from summit they can help you make sure you make the right choice... Now lets talk rear end.. lol....

Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 PM

I looked at the code on the head on my car, it is actually a 327. Sorry about the confusion.

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Where are you at? I'll come help take that old worthless clunker of a 302 off your hands!
Are you sure that's what you have? The 302 was not a "base" engine, it only came in the Z/28, and not with an automatic trans.
If the engine is numbers matching, you have a Z/28 that someone put an automatic into.
If not #'s matching, nor any signs of having had a manual trans, 12 bolt rear, etc, then it's not likely one.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:16 AM

I also am running a 383 Stroker, I built mine for about $1500 but I already had the heads. I had the block bored .030 over and then purchased an Eagle rotating assembly, Comp Cam, etc. the rotating assembly I purchased came with a balancer and fly wheel balanced to match. Assembling a motor is pretty easy. My kit was for a 425 hp/450 ft/lbs. I had a local transmission shop build a 350 turbo with a street/race shift kit and I haven't had any problems with this combo. But the warranty summit offers would make someone sleep a little easier I suppose. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll probably send the extra money for this transmission then

TCI 311000, TCI StreetFighter Transmissions | TCI

Originally Posted by 67camRSSS
I also am running a 383 Stroker, I built mine for about $1500 but I already had the heads. I had the block bored .030 over and then purchased an Eagle rotating assembly, Comp Cam, etc. the rotating assembly I purchased came with a balancer and fly wheel balanced to match. Assembling a motor is pretty easy. My kit was for a 425 hp/450 ft/lbs. I had a local transmission shop build a 350 turbo with a street/race shift kit and I haven't had any problems with this combo. But the warranty summit offers would make someone sleep a little easier I suppose. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2015, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Keep in mind you need all the other parts, here is a package at summit from TCI.

TCI Auto 311098P1
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tc...98p1/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-mc35-1/overview/
this is a great second option When ordering your trans its a good idea to look for everything your going to need and that way if its an issue you have the support of Summit or Jegs to back you up... Free shipping is a big deal in this case..

Old 04-17-2015, 06:24 AM
2nd Gear member

not sure what your budget is, but check out united racing engines
"NO EXCEPTIONS, and covered by the U.R.E. 3 Year 100,000 Mile warranty. When you receive it, all there is to do but drop it in and turn the key.*"
their statement is true. my engine even came with oil in the pan
I bought their 383 that dynoed at 532 hp and 511 ' of torque and I couldn't be happier

Old 04-17-2015, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the pointer, but 100 HP for $4000 seems steep.

Originally Posted by flat tire
not sure what your budget is, but check out united racing engines
"NO EXCEPTIONS, and covered by the U.R.E. 3 Year 100,000 Mile warranty. When you receive it, all there is to do but drop it in and turn the key.*"
their statement is true. my engine even came with oil in the pan
I bought their 383 that dynoed at 532 hp and 511 ' of torque and I couldn't be happier

Quick Reply: Suggestions for 1967 Camaro Drivetrain Upgrade