Oil sensor light

Old 09-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Default Oil sensor light

My oil sensor keeps flickering when I come to a complete stop. I have checked the oil level and it fine. I have uninstalled the sensor and cleaned it, and the connection. Is that a sign that it needs to be replaced?

Thanks

Jerry

Old 09-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Could be a bad sending unit, but a severe drop in pressure at idle can also mean your engine is badly worn and bearing clearances are excessive. That's one reason why I don't like idiot lights vs a gauge, they tend to warn you of problems after it's too late. A mechanical oil pressure gauge will tell you right off the condition of the engine. Might as well try replacing the sending unit, and keep your fingers crossed.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Could be sensor as suggested, also could be idle rpm set too low.
Harbor Freight sells a $10 mechanical gauge, and if decided to keep gauge, you can get a 'Y' adapter for keeping light and gauge hook-up.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:44 AM

Thank you for your response.

Question, is it easier to just replace the idiot lights with gauges and if so, are they easy to install.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:35 AM
4th Gear Member

Time of install is the major item.
You can get a singular gauge, two gauge set, usually pressure and temperature, and three gauge set pressure, temp, and voltage.

Older sets had an ammeter, but modern technology took over and voltmeter is replacing them.

Oil pressure is relative easy, remove OE sensor, install adapter, run oil line through a grommet in firewall, hook up oil line, start engine up, loosen fitting on back of gauge to bleed out air and tighten. Follow instructions accompanying gauge.
DO NOT KINK plastic line.

Choosing a gauge spot is the major key. Most panels will fit below the ashtray and you can use the same screws for mounting.
Gauge light can be connected to ACC spade on fuse box.

I get A/C 1/8 inch OD copper tubing and substitute the plastic line in kit.
Tubing has thinner wall thickness giving more ID and better gauge reaction.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:53 PM

Re: Oil light flickering
Folks, I purchased a mechanical gauge and the reading I get at idle is 10 psi. Is that normal, seems low to me.

Thank

Jerry

Old 09-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes that's way low. What is the pressure at with a cold engine, then when hot? At what rpm is your idle at, make sure idle isn't too low. Could be a worn engine with excessive bearing clearances. Could be a bad oil pump, or the pickup is leaking. Could be the oil filter. Could be the distributor isn't sealing well (the bottom part of the distributor housing completes an oil galley). I would start with changing the oil & filter, and going to a higher viscosity oil, like a straight 30 or 40 weight. Use a good name brand oil filter, but stay away from the Fram orange ones, they've had issues in the past.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:36 AM
2nd Gear member

I didn't see this suggested but I had a motor that the oil pump pickup tube fell off and would cause my light to flicker on, especially going around a curve.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ajramos05
Re: Oil light flickering
Folks, I purchased a mechanical gauge and the reading I get at idle is 10 psi. Is that normal, seems low to me.

Thank

Jerry
That is waaaay waay too low. Normally its 40-60 at idle for most engines anyhow. What does it do when you increase the engine speed?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Default Still trying

So...I have changed the oil and moved up yo a heavier weight. I also replaced the oil sending unit. PSI is still low at idle and that's the only time the light still comes on.

Any other thoughts I can try before I'm forced to take it in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil sensor light