new to here - just got a 68

Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Default new to here - just got a 68

Picked up a 1968 convertible from 2nd owner.
Not RS or SS. Very very clean car.

zz383 crate motor with ~10k miles. Transmission brand new. Power disc brakes/steering. No rust anywhere, paint good, new tires, top. Everything works, runs perfect. I'll post some pictures when I can a chance.

I paid $26k.
Seem fair? it did to me because everything I looked at seemed like junk but I'm no camaro guru.

So now the list begins. Little things like loose mirrors, blue interior, windows don't quite seal up to top. Rattle here and there.

Only thing I've noticed so far is the blinkers don't blink. They just have a solid light. i think the guy did it by hand or just didn't use blinkers.

My first convertible and I love it!

Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 PM
2nd Gear member

congratulations!!!!!
best year too

Old 10-20-2014, 05:52 PM

thanks! total noob question. Why is 68 the best?
I know 69 they changed some things and I thought it was more sought after.

Love the car, best purchase I made in a long time.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear member
Talking

Originally Posted by CaCruiser
thanks! total noob question. Why is 68 the best?
I know 69 they changed some things and I thought it was more sought after.

Love the car, best purchase I made in a long time.
Why is 68 the best? because you have one.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:25 PM

Haha! Also the year I was born so yeah, best year for me.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Your a victim and don't know it yet... Visits here will begin to add to the must haves list. Fixing one thing leads to more repairs and more money.... I too am a victim... and as too 26k think of it as a down payment...

Old 10-20-2014, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on getting your '68 it's a great year! And Ice is right about it just starting.... but driving a 1st Gen can be great!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 PM

I know how it is...thats kind of the fun of it.
I bought a new harley 2 months ago and one thing led to another and $3k later it's finally the way I want it. And that was a new bike! not a 40 year old car.

I already have a list of small things I need to get. Just basic repair stuff (new mirrors, blinker relay, **** here and there, etc).

Can you guys tell me 2 things
1) best book or books to begin with?
2) best online store to buy parts (best price and availability)

I see there are a ton of parts sites and books on amazon for these cars so just looking for some recommendations for me to start.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Congrats on the new toy. The 1968 model, one of the second best 1st gen's GM made!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member

To answer your question I will try to be as neutral as I can. Classic industries pisses me off from the stand point they can ship it today and will not, unless you pay extra. Summit racing is fantastic and I usually get things I order the following day so that's a plus. If you buy from Classic I recommend fill out the credit card on their site and once you get it, it gives you 15% off at check out. Classic industries is just not cheap and most of there products are pretty good. It looks and fits like original and it is not cheaply made copies. The things I have ordered from them so far are exact reproductions and fit the way they are suppose to. That's my experience so far and usually how long it takes to get to me is usually the deciding factor. If I could make a list and get one long list it would be great but so far as I get a list together and begin doing one thing, then I get another list of more stuff I should fix or replace as long as I am in there. I have ordered from NPD and found shipping is going to take a week to get things to me and I am to impatient for that. Steve's Camaros is another good source from knowledgeable guys and the prices are not bad. They are close to me from the stand point I can drive there takes about an hour or so to get there.. I picked up the RS conversion kit with electric actuators and so far are fantastic...

Search this Thread