need help!! 350 chevy in 68 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Default need help!! 350 chevy in 68 firebird

i know im in a camaro forum but i cant find any help on what i need. i have a 68 firebird with a 250 i6 ohc with a powerglide.

I want to put a chevy 350 i have in my garage into it with a 4 speed. what parts would i need to do this conversion?? and would i use the camaro v8 motor mounts or the pontiac v8 mounts?

thank you

Old 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: need help!! 350 chevy in 68 firebird

Well, Jeff. You've got a &*%$ pile of work ahead of you. How complete is the SB you have?

From front to back. Without pictures this is tough to do but here it goes.

Proper size radiator, fan shroud, new fan. Maybe get by with the Rad you have if it's big enough and if the hoses line up

Pulleys and brackets, water pump and possibly different power steering brackets. Possibly a different Alternator depending.

New hoses, belts.

Motor mounts for a Chevy SB

Headers and exhaust for a Chevy

Different starter

Different flywheel and harmonic balance possibly.

Linkage change for the throttle possibly.

Changing the pedal setup under the dash

Cutting a hole in the floor for the shifter

Different driveshaft possibly, no idea what trans you installing, just said manual 4 speed.

Rear trans mount should have to be changed also.

That's a start, anyone else want to add to the list go for it. I put it together off the top of my head quickly and surely missed something.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Just to add to williesrepair, you need to consider going to a posi rearend to get the best out of the power you will be adding with a v8. i would also go with disc brakes and an upgraded suspension kit.Keep us posted. Have fun!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:59 AM

thank you. the motor is a complete 350 from a early 80s camaro do you know if the acc brackets will work and could i use the fan shroud from the 80s camaro too??

Also will the 4 speed is out of the 80s camaro also. will that work if i used the 68 camaro crossmember and shifter??

thanks williesrepairand frostlime69for the info i have found most of the parts i need and i think it is going to turn out very good.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Its very easy to do.
Just use all the acc and brackets from the SBC and the ones you don't have , get them from a 69 Camaro. Thats when GM put the ALT on the pass. side like howyour 80's motor is set up.
The rear end in the Firebird will be fine with the motor your putting in. The Pontiac rear ends were stronger than the GM 10 bolts in 68. Plus they have bolt in axles like a Ford 9" so no need for C clip eliminators.
If you don't have a starter for the SBC you don't need to buy a whole starter just change the nose piece.
The ALT, and PS will work from the Firebird you will just have to change the brackets.
You will need to lengthen the wires that go to the starter and ALT as they will be now on the other side of the motor.
I would get a direct fit Alum. Rad from Summit there only about 250$ and are a nice Rad.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
I have one in both my Nova and Firebird. The fan shroud will need to be for a 67-69 Camaro with a Small Block, as far as fans go, you could go Elect or a mechanical flex fan.
When you get the frame mounts for the Camaro make sure you get the right motor mounts to go with them , as there are two different ones. Also I'm not sure about the Pontiac 6 cyl frame mounts but my V-8 mounts used the rear Lower Control Arm bolt for one of the mounting bolts, so be careful taking them off. You might want to remove the coil springs to relive the tension when you remove the frame mounts
All the hoses need to be for a 69 Camaro
The PG cross member will work for the 4sp I believe. I'm not sure as I run a TH400 in mine. I know it was the same for PG,TH350, and 4sp in 68, just not sureif the mount is in the same location on the 80's 4sp as it was on the 68 4sp.
The other thing I ran in to when I put my SBC in, is that the steering linkage rubbed on the headers. I just changed the steering linkage to a 69 Camaro and that fixed the problem
The gas pedal and linkage will work fine, Mine has a cable, not sure aboutyour 68 6cyl though. Mine was a V-8 car.

I think I covered about most of the major stuff. I did mine about 30yrs ago and all the Pontiac people give me s*** about it all the time.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Send me a PM as I don't come on here that much.I will help as much as I can. I can also take pics if that would help.