need expert help - 69 z28 identification

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Default need expert help - 69 z28 identification

Good morning,

I need some expert help with a Cowl tag and VIN #, this is a 1969 with NO X code and - - special paint.

Cowl tag 69 124379 NOR ( i do not remember the six digits)
711 standard Black Interior
BDY PNT - -
1D Date

VIN # 124379N549071

Original engine is gone, so no 302DZ, the previous owner bought the car in 1984.

it does however have the X3 on the support for the rear seat.

I have had mixed stories on the NO X code on Norwood Camaros, please help.

Rich

Old 04-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Without the original engine, it's going to be hard to prove it was a real Z/28. The VIN only tells if it's an 8 or 6 cylinder car; 1243: 8 cyl. 1233: 6 cyl.
Van Nuys cars had no X codes, and Norwood cars had X codes in later production models.
You'll need to look for some tell tale signs to suspect it might be a Z/28, such as a 12 bolt rear (doesn't have to be posi), front power disc brakes (never drums), original cowl hood (most but not all 69 Z/28's had them), emblems (but could have been added), never an automatic trans; tunnel has reinforced shifter opening visible from below.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:50 AM

Thanks, it is a shame there is no way to get a build sheet, I wonder what the special paint would have been?

I do have a 12 blot, 4 speed Muncie, front discs, Z28 Emblems, cowl hood, multiple leaf springs, etc. just not the proof to say it is a Z28.

Is the crayon mark on the rear seat support true or a myth concerning Non x codes?

Old 04-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Default paint under interior ?

I removed the interior from the recently bought 69 to see how bad the floors are, the color under the interior door skins sure does look like the Daytona Yellow I see on the internet, would this have been the original color of the car?

also, both doors have a white label/sticker near one of the window holes that says NO 47? any ideas what that is?

Old 04-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For the color, there's no number to the left of PNT on the trim tag? What you're seeing on the body would be the original color, unless someone did a meticulous repaint and removed all the original color from everywhere. Although anything can be made to look real, does the X3 look authentic, as in maybe glue or other crud over the markings and not looking like it was newly added later? I'm sure you already know the designation, (so for others) X3 means X33, Z/28 with style trim. Yours seems to have the right components to make it a strong case for having been a Z/28.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:28 PM

There is a dash dash ( - - ) for the paint code which I read is special paint or could be different striping? NO number what so ever.

The X3 looks untouched (wore) and has old glue lightly covering the X3 near the top of the marking.

The car is painted red with an unappropriate lady and snakes on the hood, not sure that is politically correct for today? haha I would like to restore to the original paint scheme but that sounds like I am going to have to guess?

Did Z28's come either striped or one solid color, or where other striping patterns available?

Old 04-06-2015, 02:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

moved your thread to the first generation general section for you. lol, not sure how you missed the sticky saying not to post in that section. enjoy

Old 04-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by RoxCamaro
Did Z28's come either striped or one solid color, or where other striping patterns available?
The Z/28 came with the 2 wide stripes down the nose, hood and trunk lid. "Special paint" could mean a GM non-Camaro color. Or, if the buyer didn't want the stripes, that would classify it as a special paint too. Without any documentation though, you don't know for sure. But if you can match the original yellow you see to a factory Daytona Yellow swatch, then I'd feel more confident in thinking the special paint may refer to a stripe delete.
Here's some info on special paint: Camaro VIN, Cowl Tag, and other Numbers Decoding

Old 04-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help, I am waiting and hoping the book written by jerry macneish may help me find something. I have it ordered.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The problem faced today is it either is proof positive it is a certain model, or it is not.. Unfortunately the proof positive has is so difficult you ultimately end up with its a Camaro by god nothing else. You wind up with people faking so many things buyers get nervous and start to question every detail. Then you wind up with trying to sell a Camaro and nothing else, then people walk away thinking they need to find something special. Thanks to so much fraud and fake items being reproduced (cowl tags, special equipment) today it is I can prove it and bought it new. Without documentation (Thanks GM) it is a Camaro base model V6 or V8... I had to laugh last week a guy was trying to sell the VIN number off a Camaro just because it was a V8 Vin number.. The rest of the car was unsalvageable and he wanted 2500 just for the Vin tag.. He failed to realize removing the vin tag was illegal...

Quick Reply: need expert help - 69 z28 identification