My Bucket List Ride.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Is there any past thread on the forum where people who bought Camaros that had cowl vent/heater box area stampings that didn't necessarily jive with the vin or build plate? Many sellers on eBay or CL don't even want to bother checking these numbers even though they have registered their cars and some have owned them for years.

And if the numbers in those areas are non-existent yeah, it could be a cowl replacement for whatever reason, maybe a total loss, but will a 50-year old Camaro carry a salvage title when many states won't even issue a title on a car that old? All they do is give you a bill of sale? Or do they give you some kind of conditional title?

Mike

Old 02-16-2016, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't recall anybody here having that issue in the past. But if the numbers on the VIN tag don't match the "hidden VIN", then the car is a fraudulent (illegal) VIN tag swap car. I take it sellers aren't willing to dismantle part of their car for you to check the numbers?

Old 02-16-2016, 11:41 AM
4th Gear Member

There are US states sneakily will change a salvage title into a clean title.
Once a vehicle is declared totaled and reconstructed, it will carry a salvage title for life.

Most people will not remove the right front fender and remove blower motor to check stamped VIN. Cowl is hard to view sometimes due to repaint(s) and panel have been replaced.

Check rivets, stampings of both sheet metal and tags, and other features of the model/vehicle.
If you feel uncomfortable, run away.
Use your gut feeling.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Another update to this thread. I wound up buying a '69 Camaro that just finished a 10-year restoration last Spring. It has 500 miles on it since completion. I gave up on the Mustangs many bc the 2+2 fastbacks are not as plentiful, especially stick versions. I have a long history with Chevys LOL... 4 Corvettes, one '56 BelAir Convertible, one '57 BelAir Hardtop, and way back a '27 T-Bucket that was 283 powered. The "new" Camaro has a built 454 and a 4-speed, and I have seen the partial VIN under the cowl vent, and have seen restoration picture of the one under the heater box. I've had it a couple weeks now, brings a smile to my face whenever I drive it!

Name:  IMG_1511_zpsb9oypjlu.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  408.9 KB

Up front, I'll note I know its a restomod or clone or whatever, but that doesn't bother me in the least as that was exactly what I was looking for. I love the LeMans Blue, as well as the white interior... I already ordered the white hockey stripe 3M kit bc I think rally stripes are nice but I like to be a little different. The wheels are Chrome Wheel Vintique Rallys... but I may be looking for spoked wheels down the road. There's a few things that need to be done; its non-power drum brakes so I have to figure out which front disc bundle I will go for. The other issue is the steering... its power steering but like 25 turns lock to lock (JK). I have to get a quick steering box and retrofit it. I'm told the IROC Z's of the '80's had the best PnP steering box because of the torsion rod? They require new hoses and a new rag joint, but that seems to be available. I don't know if that torsion rod is a big deal, I've driven '69 Z/28's with quick steering ad discs... and they seem more than adequate. But I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a IROC SB or see if I can buy a rebuilt one.

Mike

Old 05-24-2016, 01:41 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

woh,,, just like new. sweet, more pictures when you can

Old 05-24-2016, 05:23 AM
4th Gear Member

Nice ride, Mike - congrats!
Enjoy the journey - sleeper look if you ask me.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'll post up more pix when I get the hockey stripes on. Adding some bling under the hood this weekend, just a start. Looking for valve covers that are a little nicer than the OEM chrome ones. Need to get a chrome air filter setup, probably a K&N washable filter or one of those black ones that you simply blow out with a hose. May start painting the center console although I'm not sure where I'm going with gauges yet.

Mike

Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice ride. Congratulations.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Some updated pictures... now that the stripes are on.

Name:  Stripes-00_zpsl8p88hta.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  282.9 KB

Name:  Stripes-01_zpspob1yycy.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  423.1 KB

Name:  Stripes-05_zpsrrldzklx.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  236.7 KB

Name:  Stripes-03_zpsbivdux2l.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  404.3 KB

Bought a set of turn-downs this afternoon, might try them because right now the exhaust is hitting something after the axle and its when I hit a little bump in the road. Just very annoying.

Name:  IMG_1514_zpsdgggyhh0.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  283.1 KB

Motor is pretty blah right now. Already bought a complete SS Braided fuel line setup, ordered a chrome air cleaner, few other items to brighten it up.

Name:  IMG_1516_zpsc7e7bamc.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  312.0 KB

Trunk is simple and clean. Trying to decide whether to get a vinyl mat or a logo carpet setup. Might actually pull that spare and jack LOL... make room for folding chairs (cruise nights & local shows).

Old 06-07-2016, 07:10 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

great pictures, like the stripe, filled in blank space nicely. is that spare a bias ply, lol , would be proper for the times.

Quick Reply: My Bucket List Ride.