How to determine the cause of Passenger side being 1" higher than drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default How to determine the cause of Passenger side being 1" higher than drivers

Over the past 6-8 months i've done a lot of learning on my car, updating some things. I replaced the old sagging springs on the front end with moog 6320 springs. I also replaced the rear leafs, trying to fix a lopsided car. the passengers side was sitting 1.5" lower on the rear than the drivers side. I started to find out there must be a fairly serious issue. The first red flag was that the passenger side leaf spring was different than the drivers side. So i decided to swap them both with Hotchkis 3" drops.. because i have air shocks in the back, idea being i can raise the car up to the right height. Then i realized... someone used 2 different leaf spring cups to try and lower the drivers side to equalize the 2. Amazingly... using one 3" drop spring on the drivers side and the leaf spring that came with the car got it fairly close to level, less than a half inch difference. Now my problem is the front end is jacked up on the passenger side and sitting pretty on the drivers side.

Where do i start? I obviously don't have the finances currently to send it off to have someone straighten frame, etc. but i would like some ideas on where i can start looking for the culprit... body bushings? twisted body? twisted subframe? any ideas and info would be greatly appreciated

-Andrew

Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 PM
Tech Droid

If the springs are OK then something is probably bent or worn out. You could spend less than $ 100 and have an alignment shop look at it. If this car was used hard, such as in drag racing, there is a good possibility that the body or front sub-frame got tweaked. The subframe can be replaced but a twisted body can be an expensive project.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

There's a local shop by me that restores classics. I may bring it by there and let them have a look at it and see what they say. I love the car, just would like it to sit level. You have to be looking for it, but it bothers me.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When you worked on the suspension, did you leave all the bolts loose, lower the car back down on the tires, bounce down on the car a few times with your body weight, and then tighten everything down? If you tightened things down with the wheels in the air, then the suspension/bushings just might be preloaded and binding.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Get out the tape measuring

Camaro Unibody Frame Dimensions ? Steve's Camaros

Also measure center of wheel to center of wheel and make sure they are the same.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Camaro 69, I did leave it loose and then tightened up when i set it on the ground, but didn't put bodyweight on it. I've driven it around for maybe 50-60 miles since all the suspension work to let things settle a bit.

Thanks for all the insight, i will do some measuring when I get an opportunity and report back. unfortunately I've got a honeydo list to finish by wednesday so it may be a few days before i can get to it.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:05 PM
4th Gear Member

Good suggestions given.
Mine is sit directly in front of the Camaro looking at the front.
Compare the front - header and tops of fenders - with the windshield top/bottom.
Is the image square? Parallel?
As Pete suggested, if heavy qtr mike racing, the front left corner will be up higher than the right corner.

Another place to look is the space between the subframe to floor under driver seat.
Compare pass side to drvr side - your first middle finger knuckle should not be able to go between floor and frame.
If so, then floor is tweaked/pulled from torque - also check upper drvr side windshield corner - cracks will show up here.

If front left corner is pulled up, the firewall bushing mount is the fulcum.
A good frame man can pull it back, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited by Everett#2390; 08-03-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I haven't had a real chance to get down to measuring the car, but i did take a gander at the subframe to ground clearance nearest the rear of the car and it's off by almost 1/4". Higher by 1/4" on the passenger side. The drivers side body bushing is also compressed more than the passengers and looks to be dry rotting or cracking slightly on both sides. Could this have any affect on the front end stance? and if i were to replace, would this affect my sheet metal alignment?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 AM
4th Gear Member

Bushing replacement would be a good start.
Body alignment shouldn't be affected.
Do one side at a time as this effort will keep the frame in alignment with body.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

How hard a task is this?

Quick Reply: How to determine the cause of Passenger side being 1" higher than drivers