Help with removing dash and stuff on 68

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:13 PM
December 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Help with removing dash and stuff on 68

I ordered a new dash pad and I want to pull and paint the dash area and glove box.

I hear it is a real PITA to get the dash pad off, I have pulled all the screws on front and I understand that there are some hard to get to little nuts on screws under the dash that I will have to get at.

I think I heard I have to pull the glove box and the gauges to get to these, is that correct? any more help you can give?

ALSO I am going to replace the dash speaker while I am in there so I need help on how the $(@#*#$ do I get the radio section off!!!??? I only noticed 2 screws at the bottom by the ash tray but had no luck after those were removed.

I also bough new ***** and bezels for the dash and I think I also heard it is tough to get the ignition switch out. any words of advice for me?

I am ordering a "Camaro Factory Assembly Manual, 1968" from ricks but that will take a few days to get here and my dash and all my parts are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. what books or DVDs would you also recommend ordering here form Ricks

Old 11-19-2011, 10:53 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

Anyone?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:54 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

Same spammer paulmiller156 was on okcamaros.com site

Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey thefley, still need help with the dash? I have done it once, with an aftermarket dash pad.
Drop the steering column and remove the instrument binnacle, gauges and all. Just lower it out the way for access. (it will allow removal of the switches too, but more on that later)Remove the glove box - there are a couple screws if I rememeber right, but the inside of the glovebox actually is designed to fold in on itself for removal.
The radio ists in a full length center panel. remove the lowwer scres and the panel lifts up out of a sort of bar at the top. It is a friction fit at the top, only screwed on at the bottom. it is just a facade panel. I cant remember the details of the heater/demister switches, as I removed the entire panel and cable set.(I installed a new ac/heater unit, and used the switch panel hole for a heater/ac outlet.)
you will now have reasonable access to remove the 5 or 6 nuts that hold the dash pad on. The pad has threaded 'bolts' moulded into the base of it, and they fit through holes inthe metal dash frame. Undo the nuts.......you get the picture from here I reckon. My new aftermarket dash was a disappointment. The base was not stiff enough or badly set bolts, and it pulled the dash pad down at the bolts, which left it looking sort of dimpled in a few places. it actually looked better with a plastic dash pad cover on it, but it is done now.
The ignition swiths has a pushpin on it which locks the unit in place against the metal dash. Hunt around and be patient, you will get it. Push and release, and the unit comes out.
One or more of the other swithches have two small holes for some special 'spanner' to remove it. If you are careful you can do it wth other handy tools, but be careful, especially if your bezels are chromed plastic. The wiper, lights and lighter all screw off the front bezel, and remove from the inside.

Hope this helps

Les