HELP! lost vin plate and cowl tag

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Default HELP! lost vin plate and cowl tag

i have a 69 camaro that is almost ready to be driven, and the vin plate and the cowl tag are missing. it was probably taken off the car to use on another car. i live in florida and i was wondering if anyone here knew how i could register my car and get a title. i could purchase one under the table and stick it on my car but i dont really want to do that and its illegal i believe, i have the two possible vin numbers for my car which are 123379N606291 (straight 6) or 124379N606291 (v8) i have a strong feeling that it was a stright six because the transmission tunnel did not have any factory holes for the console or shifter. so i assume it was a straight 6 on the column.

any information on maybe a vin check site for early model cars or as too how i might register my car and get a title would be very helpful thanks!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well, to start with, you shouldn't have bought the car with the intention of making it streetable knowing there was no VIN tag, trim tag, and title. The crap is likely to hit the fan on you once you start digging deeper into your registration problem. With missing tags and title, the FIRST thing the state is going to do is assume it's a stolen car (this is the "hits the fan" part). Another part of the dilemma is now they are going to want to find out who has their car titled using the tags and title that belonged to your car. That person could lose their car if the law suspects it may be stolen and the title and tag swap was underhanded. You need to either contact the DMV, or some states send a cop out to inspect the car and verify the numbers. I presume you got your partial VIN from the "hidden partial VIN" location(s)? Sorry to paint a gloomy picture man, but you're in a sticky spot.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Well, to start with, you shouldn't have bought the car with the intention of making it streetable knowing there was no VIN tag, trim tag, and title. The crap is likely to hit the fan on you once you start digging deeper into your registration problem. With missing tags and title, the FIRST thing the state is going to do is assume it's a stolen car (this is the "hits the fan" part). Another part of the dilemma is now they are going to want to find out who has their car titled using the tags and title that belonged to your car. That person could lose their car if the law suspects it may be stolen and the title and tag swap was underhanded. You need to either contact the DMV, or some states send a cop out to inspect the car and verify the numbers. I presume you got your partial VIN from the "hidden partial VIN" location(s)? Sorry to paint a gloomy picture man, but you're in a sticky spot.
yeah the partial vin behind the air blower, and the car was given to me in a very poor condition. basically a shell and sub frame. but thanks for the information

Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You need to either contact the DMV, or some states send a cop out to inspect the car and verify the numbers.
What numbers can they verify if he is missing the VIN tag, title, and cowl tag? They cannot verify the partial VIN if the fender is on the car and the Cop is not going to take his word on what he wrote down before the fender and blower cover were installed.

Looks like you just threw away a lot of money.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by dynarider33
What numbers can they verify if he is missing the VIN tag, title, and cowl tag? They cannot verify the partial VIN if the fender is on the car and the Cop is not going to take his word on what he wrote down before the fender and blower cover were installed.
Of course Joey would have to do his own removing to show them the numbers on the cowl. But as I was getting at earlier, that's a whole can of worms I wouldn't want to open, for fear of having legal problems as a result.