Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?

Hello all. My first real car that I bought was in 1979, it was a 67 Camaro, paid $1,200 for it. Everyone has a car they regret selling, that's mine! Maroon, white nose stripe, vinyl roof.

Fast forward, my best friend at the time is still my best friend. He just found and bought a 67 Camaro that looks nearly like it did the day it left the stealership.

Supposedly it has NOT been restored, but the exterior has been repainted, and looking at the pics the engine has also been repainted. Does this disqualify it from survivor status? Exterior paint job appears decent.

Car is a 327 2 bbl with Powerglide. Not sure what other options. He bought it and doesn't really want it, he figured I would.

He paid $27K and would sell it to me for that.

Thoughts??

Attached Thumbnails Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?-img_0085.jpg   Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?-img_0083.jpg   Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?-img_0087.jpg   Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?-img_0088.jpg   Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?-img_0090.jpg  

Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?-img_0086.jpg   Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?-img_0093.jpg   Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?-img_0094.jpg   Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?-img_0095.jpg   Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?-img_0091.jpg  

Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I can provide the VIN if it helps, but I've already researched it and it checks out. I have NOT seen the car in person, it is in a different state. I will fly over and look at it soon. The car is secured and it's mine if I want it.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:31 AM
4th Gear Member

Nice Camaro.
If you can get this bench-seat equipped Deluxe interior, 50K mile, column shift, and has a Montgomery Ward dent protector stripe for $27k, I say go for it.

If repainted, not a survivor.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Restoration is a term that has a lot of different meaning to different people. It is always hard to tell from the pictures but if those are the original door hinges they are the best condition unrestored hinges I have ever seen and I have seen car with less than 1000 miles on them. Chrome also seems too nice. You would think with 50,000 miles and 50 years you would not have near perfect chrome. I believe my car has less miles and the chrome does not look that good. Seats look too nice also mine have been touched up with shoe polish but you can still see the old threads in the seams and you can not make out the stitching because it has all gone to a brown color. No wear on the carpet? Honestly the interior looks new. Wheels are from the RS package so they are not correct.

Many items on a car have a limited life, time wise. If the control arm bushing and body mounts are original you would have to be very carful with the car. Guys with true survivors tend to trailer their cars around.

27K seems like a fair price if its as nice underneath. Seems like a very well done car but not a survivor.

Also the 67 is the only years that has the cowl tag, that tag will list all the options. Not that there is much to check. Deluxe interior is the only option I am seeing besides the V8.

Word of warning. If the underneath of the car has not been sealed with modern epoxy primers or other sealers and you drive this car in the rain you are going to have issues. This car was designed to last 5-7 years and many of these cars where scraped in the early 70's for rust.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-17-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For "survivor" status, Bloomington Gold goes by the standard of at least 3 out of the following 4 areas must be more than 50% unrestored/unaltered from how it left the factory:
1. paint, trim & glass
2. interior & trunk
3. engine compartment
4. suspension frame & wheels
A car that is completely, or at least mostly unrestored, with having at least 80% of it's original paint, is called "preservation class".

Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you, I really appreciate the input.

I agree, it's not a survivor. I originally only saw the pics on my phone. Once I put them on my laptop, it's way too good to be original, it must have been restored, which is actually better in one sense. I wanted to make some small changes, and would have not felt right about doing any changes to a survivor.

So we're in agreement that $27K is a good deal as long as the rest of the car checks out, right?

It's a long, interesting story how my friend came to buy it, when I get a few minutes I'll tell it.

Oh, and where is the best place to get this epoxy undercoating done? I've never heard of that before, only standard underbody sprays.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

This is kind of what I had in mind. My first '67 had a vinyl top and the nose stripe, I'm kinda a sucker for them. Plus I always wanted to add the spoiler and Z28 hood, but being a poor student, I could never afford it.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
Nice Camaro.
If you can get this bench-seat equipped Deluxe interior, 50K mile, column shift, and has a Montgomery Ward dent protector stripe for $27k, I say go for it.

After looking at the photo above, I'm kinda inclined to lose the dent protector, I take it you don't care for them either?

Old 10-18-2016, 05:55 AM
4th Gear Member

No, I do not. But, they do their intended job of protecting from door dings very well.
Just can't stand the looks - but can't see it from the driver seat ...

Old 10-18-2016, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
Nice Camaro.

Huh, just got more pics today. It's not a bench seat in the front, it's a bucket / bench which I've never heard of or seen. The center section folds up and back to make bucket seats, or down to have a bench seat, would have been nice at a drive-in, right???

Also has the deluxe exterior trim package with reverse lights below the rear bumper, another thing I've never seen.

Both of the above are confirmed by the cowl / option tag on the firewall.

Quick Reply: Hello - and thoughts on value of this car?