Ground issue in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:18 AM
Default Ground issue in trunk

Hi guys from Australia, this is my first post!

I have a 67 Camaro that I'm slowly fixing up. I've got an electrical problem in the rear end. I've been having problems with the brake lights, licence plant lamp doesn't light up, and the gas tank sender unit also doesn't work.

The left brake light was always going out so I replaced the socket and lamp on both the left and right side and re-soldered everything. Right side is working fine in all situations. With the headlight switch on, the left brake light is always on. When I pull the socket out of the housing, the lamp goes back to normal. So there is a grounding problem somewhere.

I've replaced the whole licence plate lamp assembly and still nothing.

I haven't even tackled the fuel sender unit.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,
Andy

Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Fuel sender first - check the ground connection on the pass side tank strap mount.
You may have to put a star washer underneath it to get a good ground.
A good test of sending unit is at the body connector, behind the drvr side kick panel, use an ohmmeter and measure resistance to ground on the tan wire.
A correct reading is a value between 0-90 ohms; 0 = empty, 90 = full.
If ohms checks out, then unplug and plug back in the inst cluster connector to erase corrosion.

Ground for the rear sockets is through the bulb base to socket to bezel to tail panel via the pressed 'PALNUTS'.
Otherwise, run an individual ground wire from the socket body to the ground screw on the filler tube structure.
Once again, use a star washer for ground.

License plate lamp grounds through the frame so remove paint or apply a star washer.