Front Disc Brake Conversion Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Front Disc Brake Conversion Questions

While I've "adapted" to 4-wheel drum brakes for the moment because they are pretty new, I'm committed to doing the front disc conversion. Someday down the road I might consider doing the rear, but it's not a priority. So before I start ordering parts I figured I'd ask a few questions.

First, since I have a big block and I intend to use taller valve covers, I'm wondering which size/configuration booster I should use. I'm thinking a 8" dual diaphragm, but tell me if there are any pros/cons for a dual vs a single with regard to a disc/drum setup. Thought about hydra boost as well but I honestly think it's overkill for my use. Nice for a pro touring setup that gets driven daily.

I'm running 15" wheels, so I'm sticking with 11.2" discs. Maybe someday I'll consider 16 or 17 inch wheels, but I'm 95% sure I'll stick with a 15" setup.

Caliper wise, I had another local Camaro owner who owns a repair shop tell me that I should look at SBCC calipers. He said the OEM style or Corvette retrofits are junk. Also said the SBCC calipers will fit the spindles on the car, don't need new spindles. I've driven several camaros with front discs only and the brakes were more than adequate for my cruising. But I'm open to other caliper brand suggestions but I'm not looking to break the bank.

As far as the pro portioning valve, I'm assuming that I need an adjustable one to balance the front discs with the rear drums. I don't know if there are significant "brands" of proportioning valves to choose from. As far as the master cylinder the question is whether I need a 1" or 1-1/8" bore setup.

Of course a lot of people will tell me to buy a "kit" from any number of sources from eBay to the Right Stuff. I'm a guy who likes some bling under my hood, so any booster I go with will be chrome not cadmium plated. And I like the various billet dual master cylinders. I don't know if I can get the components I want as an upgraded kit or not, but I will check with a few sources.

When I do this conversion, I'm probably going to do the quick steering fix, swap in a Jeep Grand Cherokee box since IROC boxes are rare as hens teeth. Might even think about tubular control arms but at a minimum new ball joints. Have to figure out what idler arm is needed as well. But the big issue here is to get the brake parts list nailed down, so any help or comments will be appreciated.

Mike

Old 10-15-2017, 04:24 PM

Have not heard the Cherokee box will just bolt in but I'm betting they don't have quick ratio like the IROC which I had an 87 and that steering was the best of camaros Ive had. Check out the '600' replacement box.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 68_oramac
Have not heard the Cherokee box will just bolt in but I'm betting they don't have quick ratio like the IROC which I had an 87 and that steering was the best of camaros Ive had. Check out the '600' replacement box.
You're right on the 84-87 IROC box... tough to find but perhaps the best. But here's Dave Pozzi's chart on whats compatible and the relative specs:

The JGC box is in and I did do all the other mods; Helix upper and lower tubular control arms, Hotchkis 2" drop springs, ProForged tie rods, tie rod ends, All new bearings and bushings, ProForged balljoints (used the "tall" upper balljoints for better handling camber options), Wilwood Calipers with CPP slotted/vented discks, TuffStuff dual-diaphragm power booster, and the last item is going in Tuesday... a Helwig 1.125" front sway bar.

Even with the puny stock 5/8" front bar the handling and steering is like night and day. With the big bar up front, she should corner flat as a pancake. Steering response is incredible compared to the old power steering box. No more wandering, nibbling... its plenty quick for me. And the best thing? That steering box cost me $45! I'll post a detailed thread on it.

Mike