Finally got a 69 and I stole it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Finally got a 69 and I stole it!

yes, unfortunatly it has to be a salvaged title since the insurance idiots totaled it. (April 2013: ended up protesting it and got it titled) Kind of a shame because its not a "totaled" car. To me a totaled car should be one thats not fixable at all. Anyway, It's fine with me because I know what the car is and it will stay in my family for many years. I'm sure my 13 year old son will have it long after I'm gone. Even with a salvaged title its still a nice SS car. It will actually be a better running, driving car when I finish with it. And, I'm very happy to have it for what I got it for. These days all you get for $5000 is a non-running rust bucket. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by Scooch; 02-07-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:36 PM

It would be nicer to have the title clean. Don't know where you live but I had a car totalled one time (Calif) It was still running driving (rear ended). I bought it back for the salvage value. The insurance company sent me instructions to mail the pink slip to them since I had both the car and the pink slip. I didn't send it in and the car never got a "salvage" title! Did the guy you bought it from send the pink in? Hopefully not.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Salvage title issues differ from state to state. About four years back I knowingly bought a theft recovery vehicle, and ithad a salvage title because of it. When I transferred it to my name, the new title came back clean as a whistle. It might show on a carfax report, then again it might not since it wasn't in an accident, but either way it's not on the title now, and I have documentation as to why it was issued a salvage title in the first place. There are different reasons for a car to be issued a salvage title, and just because a car is issued a salvage title, doesn't mean it was "totalled". It just means that an insurance company payedoff the claim for whatever the reason.The owner then has the option to buy the car back, but the large majority of the cars get sold at insurance auctions. Scooch, I would wait to transfer the title to your name. Take plenty of before pictures, which it looks like you already have. After you get it fixed back up, take the car and your picturesto your local DMV office and see if they can give you some sort of document giving it a clean bill of health. You might get lucky, and the "salvage" stigma could get washed off the record. Since you have documentation and pictures, the circumstances pertaining to your car receiving a salvage title isn't going to hurt the value of it one bit. A lot of old cars (that have clean titles) that have been restored have started out in MUCH worse condition than yours is in. If I werea potential buyer of your car, and looking at all the facts, it wouldn't bother me at all.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

thanks for the info Camaro 69, I will be waiting a while to do anything with the title and or registration. I am documenting everything as you said. Plus I have everything all the way back to the original invoice on the car, protectaplate, warranty info and stuff. Thanks for your comment.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

I pulled the motor and Transmission Saturday. Everything came out easy enough. Didnt run into any surprises. The intake Manifold is a Holley Contender... Does anyone know if this is a good intake for street? I am planning on putting a new Edelbrock 650 Carb on it. Due to my budget I didnt want to change the intake if it is a good one. Also, I was planning on putting electronic ignition back on it since the old distributer and stuff got melted, any recommendations? I've decided to media blast the firewall inside and out before epoxy primering it all. I'll post pics when I get finished with that. Then I can start the fun part... putting in all back together so I can fire it up. Please post comments and advice if you have any.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1219/4650651683B145FDB87EB94200A5D44C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1219/08B2D04FFE724070ABD922A5E8405124.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-21-2007, 06:26 AM
June 2007 ROTM

hey if u need a intake i have one for sale never been used. its a high rise

Old 12-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You're pluggin' away Scooch! The Holley Contender is a dual plane hi-rise similar to the original LT-1 intake. It has an RPM range of idle-7200. Fairly certain they don't make it anymore...maybe by design, but not by name? I would keep it.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

thanks Blade, I think I'm gonna keep the contender intake so I can stay in the budget. It sounds like it'll be fine for my needs. appreciate the offer.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Thanks Camaro 69, I think I will keep the intake. You are right, I have been pluggin away. It's kinda funny, when I brought it home a few days before thanksgiving I told my wife I wouldnt touch it until after the holidays and look where I am now! I having a blast! Thanks for your input.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 AM
June 2007 ROTM

lol sure thing man. But some advise throw that budget out the window man. I am postive that most the members on here all have gone over that budget. Just take ur time, dont rush, nd have fun.

Quick Reply: Finally got a 69 and I stole it!