DZ Motor??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Default DZ Motor??

Hello all, so I have inherited a chevy 302 dz motor...its apart...I've got a lot of pieces here LOL...my question is...I'm a newbie to wrenching and honestly don't know if I have the time or money to put into this motor....would it be worth it to rebuild it?? Or is it not? If it is where should I start? Figure I will need a Chilton's book LOL...if not what should I sell it for and where do I do that?? I can't imagine eBay would be the place to sell a motor!?!? Any help appreciated. Thank you!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:27 AM
1st Gear Member

If you have a matching numbers engine for the Camaro it goes to rebuild it. If not scratch the whole thing its only worth it to the car it matches. If you don't know what your doing dump the motor for 100 and move on...

Old 01-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Dump it for $100? Answer your doorbell, it's me!
A complete DZ engine, in rebuildable condition, is worth close to $5k. A complete rebuilt one, carb to pan, is close to $10k.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 PM
4th Gear Member

Go to Camaro Research Group as they have a 'Lost Registry' and look up the VIN from the pad matching with a Camaro, and/or list your engine VIN for the Camaro owner may get the born-with engine back.

You know of any history of the engine source - how it got there?
May lead you closer to the numbers matching Camaro.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Completely rebuilt its worth 5k, and it costs about 4 to 5k to get it completely rebuilt, new pistons etc.... If its not a numbers matching engine most people are better served to dump the old block. It may not be rebuild able, and your going to sink money to find that out. I do agree for a engine builder and someone with experience that knows what they are doing its going to be marginal to make the investment to try and flip it for profit.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:44 AM

Well thank you all for the information...I will check and see if I can find the car the motor goes to....
I do know the motor was running...I actually pulled it out of a 72 Chevelle, obviously not the original car LOL...it was running with a few issues but would still push that heavy Chevelle all day long LOL...was matched with a 4/10 tranny...so actually driving it on the highway was impossible LOL but getting up and going quickly was a lot of fun :P
Im not sure how it ended up in a Chevelle....the guy that had the Chevelle had had it since the 70's so im unsure why he put the 302 in it and where it came from. Im no longer in contact with him so cant really research it much. I know know that I have all the pieces...it was in process of being rebuilt that is why its in pieces LOL
I have the heads, camshaft, valve covers, intake...unfortunately I dont have the vocabulary to explain the rest of it.
Question....numbers matching??? how do I research the parts to know if they are all original?? is there a website I can utilize?

LOL Camaro 69 if I decide to let it go for 100 ill let you know :-P haha I know they are more rare cuz of the little research I have done online...only limited production.

Thank you again for all your information...

Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 AM

SO sooo I looked up a FEW numbers....goodness this thing has numbers all over it!!! UGH

V0213DZ= Flint, Feb, 13th, 68-69
Block Casting 12CM3956618= 69 4 bore block

I cant seem to find the S/N :-( its not by the engine ID :-(

Old 01-21-2015, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For the partial VIN, look for a flat area on the drivers side of the block, above the oil filter area. That's another spot that was used.
For reference, here's some DZ engine stuff on flebay...
A reconditioned bare block for $5,500 (which I think is nuts). There is another bare block in need of conditioning for $1,500, which is more realistic.: 302 DZ Block 1969 Camaro Z28 69 | eBay
Here is a low mileage (so they claim) short block for $4k: 1969 Camaro DZ 302 Original Short Block V0605DZ Standard Bore 1178 2172 Pistons | eBay
There was a complete rebuilt DZ engine (carb to pan) out there yesterday for $9,600.
So based on the market, my estimate of $5k for a rebuildable complete engine was pretty much on the money.
A DZ engine is 69 Z/28 only, and are few and far between. There aren't a lot of them available for sale, so supply and demand creates the high prices.
Finding the person who owns the Z/28 that your engine came out of can be like finding a needle in a haystack. However, someone restoring a Z/28 will still find value in what you have, if the dates jive. Putting together a car that has date correct parts is the next best thing to having numbers matching. What you have there is way more than just a plain old engine that nobody wants.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 01-21-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:53 PM

Thank you very much Camaro 69!!! Your a great help...Im gonna attempt to find that S/N and just see if its home is still out there in the world...guess ya never know unless ya look LOL....
So you said "complete" lol I have pieces everywhere....Im gonna add pictures to my member info but what all pieces do I need to have to consider it complete? lol....I honestly dont think I am the person for this motor and hate for it just to sit there :-( Will a block be fine just sitting in a garage? Is there something I need to do? Its currently on an engine stand.

Thank you again for any information you can provide ;-) Im feeling quite overwhelmed by this whole thing LOL

Old 01-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A complete engine is how it was when removed from a running car. You'd have to take an inventory and see what parts you have. You may have everything, you might not. Just because it's apart doesn't mean that hurts the value, in some ways it's better in that parts can be inspected to see what's salvageable. Something you can't do with an assembled engine. The block hanging around on the stand is fine. The crank wants to be stood on end, not laying flat where it can warp over time. Try to keep stuff out of humid surroundings. And coat cylinder bores, crank journals etc. with oil.

Quick Reply: DZ Motor??