Coming over to the dark side

Old 10-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Red face Coming over to the dark side

Hi all-first time on this forum, as I have been into Mustangs (travesty!!!) for the last 5 years. Me and my 2 boys- age 9 and 11 when we started- first restored a 66 coupe, sold it, then upgraded to 65 vert and restored that, and now we are going to sell that to get into our dream car, a 1st gen Camaro. (took a long time and a ton of sweat equity to go from our first $8500 mustang to where we are now!) Anyways, the vintage mustang forum was a DEFINITE necessity and blessing along the way-many many helpful members, so wanted to tap into all the knowledge here for sure - so, just in process right now and doing a ton of research before we purchase anything. Is there a site/link/sticky that identifies things to look out for and check when buying a 1st gen? (for the mustangs it was rusty frame rails and rusty cowls....BIG $$$ to repair those-luckily I read about that before we started our search for our 1st stang!) Just want to be knowledgeable before we start looking. Thanks all and looking forward to this new adventure with my boys.
John
ps-not going to post an pics of my 65 vert. Don't want to get flamed on my first ever post here

Old 10-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Welcome to the Camaro world, finally.
Some areas of interest:
Rear frame rails, at the shackles, near the upper shock mounts and gas tank support.
Dashboard at base of windshield.
Base of the rear window.
Rear quarter panels, the whole thing...almost.
Front fenders, behind the wheels.
The floors, the floors, and oh yeah, the floors. But only limited to the front, rear, and trunk! lol
Since you're familiar with dealing with rust, you shouldn't have trouble spotting bad areas. Be sure to use a weak magnet to check everywhere, as that will grab through paint but not thicker body filler.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:21 PM

Perfect-thanks tons. Printed it out so i'll be ready to reference it (hopefully fairly quickly!) as soon we can sell our vert. yes, definitely familiar with checking for rust -dumping some water down the cowl of more than a few mustangs has us thousands for sure
john